bread baking newbie - a little guidance please? *pics added*

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by kari_dawn, Feb 18, 2012.

1. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    So, like many of us, I am trying to move towards more natural ways of eatting, living, and growing. I found a wonderful bread recipe that I have been working on. The first time, it did not raise as high as I wanted it to, but did rise. The second time, it was much too cold in my house (I don't really run the central air unless I am just freezing or burning up), and after some reasearch, I learned that could have been the reason for my bread to raise a little and then fall...

This time, my third attempt, I finally realized that I am also not putting enough yeast in the mix...so, in the second stage where other ingredients are added, I went ahead and proofed a little more yeast, and folded it into the dough...will it affect how my bread turns out?

Okay, apparently, it did not make that much difference for me to add yeast after I had already let the dough rise once.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a basic honey wheat bread recipe, but I added barley, qinoa, flax seed, and amarenth grain. How exciting! My whole house smells like fresh baked bread! yummy!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  2. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Far from an expert but I find that raising my bread in an oven set on Warm for about an hour works really well. No, adding more yeast will only affect the flavor. If it comes out tough you're probably over-kneading the dough.

Pretty loaf though. [​IMG]

Almost forgot. I found that my recipe made 2 rather tiny loafs, so I just use the same recipe and make just one loaf. Works for me.[​IMG]

3. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    What a beautiful loaf....well done!

4. KBlue

KBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Katy, TX
    looks delicious!

5. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    Thanks! Im so excited that they turned out so well! This recipe makes three loafs...way more than I need...so Im sending one back with my parents! I had toast for breakfast, and it was SOOOO yummy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by