bread?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TheCapps', Jul 12, 2011.

1. TheCapps'

TheCapps' Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Suffolk, Virginia
    today stopped by a local bakery outlet, i got a shopping cart full of bread that was dated for today that they were going to toss. Is it ok to feed the chickens the bread. its just regular white hamburger buns. we opened one bag ang gave them some, all the rest went in the freezer. we feed them dumor starter/grower 20% and they are completly free ranged from 6:30am to about 8:30 pm when they make their way back to the coop to roost. we are not looking to feed them just bread but a suppliment to the feed, grass, bugs, weeds, wild cherries, and whatever else they find throughout the day.

2. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    They love bread....

3. Ilovemyladies!

Ilovemyladies! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Hills of Kentucky
    I give hamburger buns/bread to my chickens occasionally b/c if the have too much bread it can "stop up" their gizzard. But if you give your chickens grit they should be fine (if you give them bread as a snack). Hope this helps [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  4. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    I give my chickens whole grain bread as a treat. Usually the left over black rye bread we eat so it doesn't go to waste. They love it and will fight over it. Now, if I make rolls, they will kill for that bread. I'll have chickens and dogs standing around me waiting for me to toss some pieces. Chickens have grabbed bread right out from under the dogs, but I have good dogs, and they don't care and will just wait for another piece.

5. Snack Giver

Snack Giver Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Seattle
    Well all my birds are spoiled brats who won't eat breat. They scream at me for steak, worms, watermelon, lettuce, corn on the cob, etc. I wish they would just eat bread sometimes. I have spoiled them badly. I'm to blame.

6. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    My go nuts for bread.

7. comptonsgonecountry

comptonsgonecountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Mine love bread!

8. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    mine will eat bread if there is nothing better offered (tomatoes, chickens, cottage cheese or meal worms)

9. TheCapps'

TheCapps' Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Suffolk, Virginia
    cool, sounds good, thanks for all the replies

10. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I chop the bread up, put it back in the bags and store it in my spare fridge . It is a good treat, and I swear they lay more eggs when I feed it to them. I give it to the goats as well. But you must chop it for goats, they can choke trying to eat a whole slice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by