bread ?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tracyfuertevent, Aug 29, 2013.

1. tracyfuertevent

tracyfuertevent Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2013
    as you know i am a newbie to keeping ducks, mine are doing really well but a friend of mine has said that i should NOT give them bread is this true and if so why thanks tracy

2. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    1 person likes this.
  3. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Scott and Dean (1991). Nutrition and Management of Ducks. Scott Publishing, Ithaca, NY, refer to improved rates of gain with up to 40% dried bakery waste (day-old bread) when compared with corn-soy diets. They emphasize the importance of immediately drying the bread to prevent mold and bacterial growth and making sure the diet is balanced, that the bread just isn't used a replacement for corn. They point out the increased salt content of the diet, and while it will impact chicken growth, it doesn't affect mallard derived breeds because of their extra-renal salt excretion abilities.

Clint

4. furbabymum

furbabymum Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    All my birds get scraps now and again. It's not their main diet. All things in moderation really.

5. muskuslove

muskuslove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Nederland, Den Haag
    How are your ducks doing Tracy? Have they gain weight yet? Speceider is right. You can give some bread aslong as it`s not there main food.
    Especially young ducklings need good nutrition's. In bread you will find sold witch is not that healthy.
    But in this case the young ducklings realy need to gain weight, so i think a little bit won`t hurt. But be sure to give them proper food aswell.
    I would love to see some new pics..!!

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by