1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

"Break Out" - Over the Fence & Escaped???

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Newwell, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Newwell

Newwell Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I was very sad 4 days ago when I went to do my chicken head count ~4:00 PM. That's about the time they start gathering at the coop from free ranging for the night. Well, I'm down one RIR pullet. (My chickens are only 3 1/2 months old.) I looked all over for her, looked for feathers, looked for anything. No RIR, no sign at all.

Behind our house we have a 40 foot drop/cliff to the river. The whole property is surrounded by a 4 1/2 foot chain link fence. I hear banging & crashing from down below. Looked over & couldn't see anything. By now it is getting dark. Sorry to say, I am not going to risk life & limb going over a slippery cliff to look for a chicken, so I get the others locked down for the night. My DH & I figured that a coon, possum or some night creature had themselves a free dinner.

Every day we've looked & listened for her, but no chicken.

This afternoon my DH hollers for me to get outside & count the chickens. There they are ALL of them. Where my little girl came from I do not know, or how she got back, I have no idea. But I know she has returned & is happy to be back. I knelt down & she hoped right on my knee & clucked.
    We are very fortunate to have her back. [​IMG]

If anyone ever says chickens are stupid, I would have to differ with them. This little pullet survived a 40 foot trip to the river, 2 nights of freezing temps, predators, & made her way back home. And she looks none the worse for wear. Thank You LORD!!!

2. AnimalsComeFirst

AnimalsComeFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    I love happy ending storys like this! Awesome! [​IMG]

3. TechnoCat

TechnoCat Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2011
    Wherever Angel is~
    OMG that's absoulutley CRAZY!
    Chickens are definetly NOT dumb.
    There was a hawk that landed on the fence a long time ago, and Pepper (australorpe) started screaming her brains out, enough time for her and Amulet to get in the coop
    Chickens are amazing.
    THANK YOU LORD, THANK YOU ALL!

4. Newwell

Newwell Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I still am amazed!! She went into the coop tonight as if nothing happened. She's my "homing chicken", maybe I'll change her name to Homer. [​IMG]

5. kristamarie

kristamarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    This post made me so happy. You are one lucky chicken momma. someone let my girls out while we were away... only 1 stayed in the yard. I was sure the other 2 were eaten or something. turns out animal control picked them up (im an illegal chicken owner) and i still miss them everyday. kiss your girl for me

6. Snowygirl

Snowygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Mirkwood
    i love stories like that w/ happy endings!!! [​IMG] we live in a busy neighborhood and one day 1 of our chickens figured out how to get over the fence
    .....and i searched for an hour and started thinking that a hawk had gotten her. i was heart broken because she was my first hen, and right as
    i was about to give up, i started giving scraps to our other hens. then my brother screamed that the hen was coming into the yard...i caught her and
    put her into the yard with the other hens and she's never left again.

7. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    [​IMG]! I love when happy endings happen.

8. chickenlover91

chickenlover91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    YAY another happy ending! [​IMG]

9. Bauer in Montana

Bauer in Montana Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2011

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  10. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    maybe she didnt really fall over the drop off.....maybe something spooked her and she was hiding...im glad she came home!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by