Break the habit or introduce chicks??

haidee

Chirping
Mar 19, 2015
Great barr, birmingham, england
My black rock is on day 2 of being broody. I don't know whether to try and get her out of it or get her a couple of day old chicks? I dont really want to remove her from the coop or other hens n ducks as I only have a rabbit hutch as an alternative. I don't know what behaviour to expect from the 3 other hens and 2 ducks if I introduced chicks. She is sitting in the only nest box that they all use...even the ducks on the odd occasion. It's almost 1ft off the ground, is this too high for Chicks?
I've never done this before and had my hens from point of lay. Any advice very welcome.

Attachments

• 20180507_190403.jpg
    20180507_190403.jpg
    656.4 KB · Views: 12
Depends if you want more chicks or not. :confused:

If not, break it. If yes then call around and see what chicks will be available. I wouldn't adopt until she sat at LEAST a week. And chicks must be YOUNGER than 6 days old... and only if I had room and wanted them. Chicks at the store are NEVER truly day old... they have already been through shipping so usually at least 3 days old when you see them.

She will occupy the nest until she takes the chicks out for the day and then only at night there after. I don't have success moving broody's on eggs. Once chicks hatch, I can make them stay where I want until the chicks are mobile enough to follow mom back to her chosen location. How the other birds act will have to be observed. My hens raise their chicks with the flock... but I eliminate bullies who are persistent.

If you only have hens and no rooster... then you either have a bully issue or parasites like lice or mites. There is NO reason why she should be bald on her back. :hmm

Yes that might be too high for chicks. I usually make a little ramp or some steps out of boxes or 2 x 4's. If you adopt.. I might just move her into a card board box on the ground... with better nesting material... either hay or shaving if you have them, at the same time you add babies (during the night so she feels them moving around before she comes face to face with them).. Shredded paper maybe... The babies wouldn't be able to eat those pellets.

Since she is broody now... if you break her, she will likely become that way again in the future if you simply aren't ready for chicks now you can plan ahead for next time. ;)

If it is parasites... a product with permethrin as the active ingredient is my suggestion. I like the spray because it extremely easy to use and effective. I got mine in the horse department (horse fly spray) at the feed store, but it is labeled for use in chickens.

Good luck! hard choice. :fl

Depends if you want more chicks or not. :confused:

If not, break it. If yes then call around and see what chicks will be available. I wouldn't adopt until she sat at LEAST a week. And chicks must be YOUNGER than 6 days old... and only if I had room and wanted them. Chicks at the store are NEVER truly day old... they have already been through shipping so usually at least 3 days old when you see them.

She will occupy the nest until she takes the chicks out for the day and then only at night there after. I don't have success moving broody's on eggs. Once chicks hatch, I can make them stay where I want until the chicks are mobile enough to follow mom back to her chosen location. How the other birds act will have to be observed. My hens raise their chicks with the flock... but I eliminate bullies who are persistent.

If you only have hens and no rooster... then you either have a bully issue or parasites like lice or mites. There is NO reason why she should be bald on her back. :hmm

Yes that might be too high for chicks. I usually make a little ramp or some steps out of boxes or 2 x 4's. If you adopt.. I might just move her into a card board box on the ground... with better nesting material... either hay or shaving if you have them, at the same time you add babies (during the night so she feels them moving around before she comes face to face with them).. Shredded paper maybe... The babies wouldn't be able to eat those pellets.

Since she is broody now... if you break her, she will likely become that way again in the future if you simply aren't ready for chicks now you can plan ahead for next time. ;)

If it is parasites... a product with permethrin as the active ingredient is my suggestion. I like the spray because it extremely easy to use and effective. I got mine in the horse department (horse fly spray) at the feed store, but it is labeled for use in chickens.

Good luck! hard choice. :fl

Wow thanks for taking time to reply....
I quite like the idea of chicks but wasn't sure if it would be right for them.

Yes one of the ducks decided to pick on her but all friends again now no mites and the feathers are beginning to grow through.
There was shavings and straw but they seem to kick it out, perhaps the ex batts don't like it as they refuse to roost and will often sleep in there although they have sat on the edge of the shelf below the perch lately.

I would have to change the diet for them all to chick feed until the chicks are ready for the usual feed.
I have a bit to think about...i have nowhere to keep them apart if bullying becomes a problem once chicks are on the scene. Hmmm
Thank you again

I would have to change the diet for them all to chick feed until the chicks are ready for the usual feed.
Since I have all ages I use a flock raiser crumbles that has 20% protein and 1% calcium and offer oyster shell free choice on the side. But an unmedicated starter would also be an acceptable choice.

In case I didn't mention it... I probably wouldn't go with fertile eggs so I didn't have to deal with cockerels.

Ah yes... I forgot about them kicking out the bedding in the nest boxes. Even my girls who leave it still scratch the center all the way down to bare wood it seems like.

Some people use a wire bottom kennel as a broody breaker, making sure there is NO bedding for her nest with.

If you do get chicks... never less than 2, but 3 is preferred in case something happens. :pop

Since I have all ages I use a flock raiser crumbles that has 20% protein and 1% calcium and offer oyster shell free choice on the side. But an unmedicated starter would also be an acceptable choice.

In case I didn't mention it... I probably wouldn't go with fertile eggs so I didn't have to deal with cockerels.

Ah yes... I forgot about them kicking out the bedding in the nest boxes. Even my girls who leave it still scratch the center all the way down to bare wood it seems like.

Some people use a wire bottom kennel as a broody breaker, making sure there is NO bedding for her nest with.

If you do get chicks... never less than 2, but 3 is preferred in case something happens. :pop

Thank you, yes I thought chicks as I wouldn't want cockerals. If I went for 3 I'm not sure we have enough room for them when grown. I need to find out if I can get the food from where I do now...a bit to think about.

Back
Top Bottom