1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breaker flipped and Incubator was at 50* when checked.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dejavoodoo114, Feb 11, 2013.

1. dejavoodoo114

dejavoodoo114 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2013
    East TN
    Our breaker flipped and we lost power to the incubator on day 10 for about 12 hours, maybe more. The temp dropped from 99.5 to 50. We had already candled and all had dark spots as of day 8. Should I be worried? Then, I believe because of loosing power and the bator trying to compensate, then next day it read 101.5... Now it seems steady again but what kind of damage has happened?

Also, we had 3 doz eggs shipped to us. We let them sit for 24 hours then put them in the incubator without the turner on for 7 days. Turned it on on day 8. When I candled them, all but 4 of the air bubbles seemed stationary. What does it mean when the air bubbles move? These eggs also had dark blotches that I assume are growing embryos...

2. Muffin14143

Muffin14143 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2013
    New England
    Well, I'm no pro when it comes to hatching, but I think you should be OK. I have heard about eggs hatching even after being in a fridge. You should be fine. I think you should take a picture of a marked candled egg today, then take one tomorrow of the same egg and compare them. That should help you see if the eggs are still developing. Give them two days or more if you don't see any change. Good luck, I hope your chicks are OK.

3. dejavoodoo114

Feb 4, 2013
    East TN
    I can't seem to keep the incubator at a proper temp any more. We had it set up 3 days before we put in the eggs. The first day we dialed it in and the next to we monitored it carefully to be sure it was good. The temp was perfectly consistent at 99.5*... This morning it was at 97... Has anyone been successful after their incubator dropped to 50*?

4. Muffin14143

Muffin14143 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2013
    New England
    Oh, I'm sorry. I am not really a hatch pro. I really hope your chicks are okay. Lets hope somebody with more hatching knowledge pipes in. Could there be something wrong with the thermometer and not the incubator?

5. dejavoodoo114

Feb 4, 2013
    East TN
    Ok, so those eggs did not hatch. We moved the incubator into my library so we could be sure nothing bad would happen again. Then we purchased 18 americauna eggs. Temp was perfect and humidity was perfect. We could here the automatic turner working (our bedroom is above the library) and because it turns every hour it wasn't a surprise that it was always tilted the same way when we opened the door to fill the water and rotate the eggs......

Oops. [​IMG] When the eggs didn't hatch my husband opened them. They were all formed but stuck to the sides. We only rotated them completely every few days and apparently the turner came off the drive shaft so it was never turning! [​IMG] I was so angry at myself. Those chicks died because I didn't notice.

Now my husband and father in law have fixed the turner for good and we have more eggs in it. Temp and humidity look great again and we KNOW that the eggs are turning. We have different batches in there and should get 4 on the 23rd, 2 on the 27th, and 52 on the 31st of May. The 52 are from our neighbor who has a lot more chickens than we do, the others are from our little hen and her two roosters we rescued. Her eggs are too dang small to eat. We don't have a rooster for our bigger hens.

So now I am concerned about the humidity for hatching. How do you do it when you have multiple batches? Will it hurt the younger eggs when I raise the humidity for the ones about to hatch? The ones I really want are the batch of 52....

6. dejavoodoo114

Feb 4, 2013
    East TN
    Darn it all, I can't remember how to edit my posts.... I wanted to change the name of the thread..

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The problem as you know is that your humidity has to go from 30-35% to 60-65%, plus the turner has to be off the last 3 days of hatch. Most people who hatch a lot will have a "hatcher" incubator that they can put the eggs in during days 19-21. The hatcher has no turner and the higher humidity. If you are using just one incubator, you would have to chance leaving the turner on late or off early for some, and keep the humidity too high and maybe drowning some, or risk shrink-wrapping others.

8. dejavoodoo114

Feb 4, 2013
    East TN
    I have an old redwood incubator with 8+ racks. We altered it so that the bottom rack does not turn. That is where they will go when they are ready to hatch. My biggest concern is the humidity. What will happen when I raise the humidity for a few days? Will that drown my other eggs?

9. Apriljc

Apriljc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    I think the biggest problem is that your batch of 52 eggs will have 7 days of high humidity that they shouldn't have and this could lead to those eggs not losing enough moisture before their due date.

10. dejavoodoo114

Feb 4, 2013
    East TN
    Thank you for your help. We did not increase the humidity on the others so we could get the 52 eggs. However, I think we still drowned them. For our last batch we used the dry hatch, kept the humidity between 25-35 then the last few days increased to 40-50. We had 24 hatch! We will be doing that from now on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by