Breakfast Is Served!!! (pics)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Ravishaw, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    12 little pullets all fighting for a spot at the feeder. I've found these feeders are inefficient for starter (powdered?) feed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This darn fuzzy butt let me pose her, even waited patiently for me to get back behind the camera, then as soon as I reached down to trip the shutter she JUMPED up to moon me with her darn fuzzy butt!

Now I see barred rocks, rhode island reds, wyandottes and the others were said to be americaunas... I've seen easter eggers on these forums that look identical. How does one know for sure?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  2. Carpe DiHen

Carpe DiHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    El Dorado County, CA
    On the easter eggers, look for puffy cheeks and green legs. They are very olive green.

3. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

I use the crumbles instead of powdered... seems like less mess, and they are able to scavenge more of the feed that drops to the ground.

If you can get pics of their faces (I know, it's a job) we'll be able to tell more. Lovely ladies!

ADD: I also use the long feeders, seems like they can get to the food better.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  4. Ravishaw

May 7, 2010
    what is a long feeder?

5. storminstaffs

storminstaffs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Durham, UK
    looks like a nice mix of colours

6. Ravishaw

May 7, 2010
    aren't they? I thought the RIRs would be pretty but I'm quickly becoming enamored with the wine-dotters color.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by