Breakin' the Law

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Anny, May 2, 2008.

1. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Does anyone on here have chickens in a city that says "no chickens" ??

I live in Detroit and the law states no farm animals in city limits. But I know MANY MANY MANY people with chickens in the city limits, it's just one of those things no one inforces, I think Detroit has many other things to worry about other then people raising their own chickens.

I called animal control and asked them about keeping chickens and the person honestly told me, as long as you don't have a rooster and no one complains about you, I don't think anyone is going to bother you.

(some one down the block has GOATS! For crying out loud! )

I don't actually have any chickens yet, but plan on getting some this summer.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    This is gonna sound stupid, but...
    I'm a faithful viewer of animal cops and the other night it was Animal Cops Detroit (Michigan Humane Society). A man had gone out of town and left his chickens and other fowl unattended. When the man returned the humane society investigators told him that it was illegal for him to have them in the city and the birds were seized. You could call the Michigan Humane Society and ask them, or go with what animal care & control told you. I'd just be afraid of getting birds, falling in love with them, and then have a neighbor that was vengeful for some reason call and complain.

3. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    Isn't chicken ownership kind of like the policy of "don't ask, don't tell"?

4. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    DON'T SAY ANYTHING JUST GET YEA SOME;)

5. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    i'm sure we've got a few criminals on this forum... [​IMG]

6. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    Illegal, yes, but you may want to look into the Michigan Right to Farm Act, which may protect you regardless [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by