BREAKING A ""BAD BIRDIE!"" HABIT!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by d.k, Nov 3, 2008.

1. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* So, some of you may recall my mentioning that Miss Chook had a habit of sucking on one of her wattles, just like a kid with a pacifier. . . WELL, got so bad recently that she was even trying to EAT with the darn thing stuck in her mouth! Yeah, that doesn't work, and I was sick of "pulling the plug" several times a day. Got the idea to wrap the wattle in 2 red plastic-coated bag ties and it is working like a charm!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. ears73

ears73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Westchester, NY
    What a funny thing! Certainly a unique birdie you have there.....

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

[​IMG] OMG chickens are so weird sometimes.

4. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Aren't they, though?? Thought I was gonna go nuts trying to figure out how to break THAT habit!! [​IMG]

5. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    I would love to see a pic of that! [​IMG]

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG] That has got to be the funniest thing I've read all day long! Thank you so much for the laugh! [​IMG]

7. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    OMG [​IMG] How odd, and weired !!!! Really weired !! Glad you fixed the problem !!

8. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*Me, too!! That wattle was getting a good 1/4" longer than the other, and starting to look real white and pruney besides!! Cool thing with the ties is that they don't hamper her eating or drinking and being plastic-coated they don't soak up water either. Now, if I can just get the other one (Perky) eating as much as Chook does. . . . . [​IMG] Am I the only one with neurotic chickens??

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  9. BawkinOnTheBench

BawkinOnTheBench Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    UT
    Oh, you've GOT to take a picture. Pretty please? While you're at it, take one of her without the fix, too!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2008
  10. joerogrz

joerogrz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    Loretto, TN
    When I was a kid we had an egg-sucking dog that just loved to get to the eggs before us. My Dad made a little pin-hole in an egg, got some of the yolk out and filled it up with Tabasco. Needless to say, the egg-sucking dog swore off eggs after he had a few of the "special" eggs....

So from this scenario, could be assume that putting some hot pepper sauce on the wattles would keep the hen from "trying" them? I'm gonna have to test this theory out....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by