Breaking a broody hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rooster58, Feb 15, 2017.

1. rooster58

rooster58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2016
    Upstate NY
    Can you break a broody hen by taking her out of the nest and putting her on roost after dark every night?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    A broody bird will simply hop off the roost and make her way back to her nest, or anywhere else that she can nest down - even in the dark.

3. rooster58

Dec 31, 2016
    Upstate NY

Well shoot.

4. Elemes

Elemes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    WV
    My Coop
    As sweet as we try to be they are pretty determined. Mine need 3-4 straight days in a crate (wire dog cage) before they shake the brood. :/

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  5. rooster58

Dec 31, 2016
    Upstate NY

Guess it's time to break out the cage. Broodiness is contagious. I have a bantem chochin mix that went broody almost two weeks ago so I put eggs under her. I've also got 18 in the bator right now. If I let every hen have eggs I'll be overrun. Lol

6. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    I had a broody, read that keep removing from the nest during the day & at night put her on the roost with the rest. My girls just started laying in Dec, one went broody towards the end of last month. I finally figured out what was going on 3 days, read a thread about removing & putting on the roost at night or wire cage.

I chose to do the removing & roost. It was alot of in and out of the house to check & remove her from the nest during the day, as well as to eat. I also removed the plastic eggs I had in the nest since they were first timers. At night/dark finding her in the nest, I removed her & put her on the roost with the rest. Did it 2 consecutive days, third day she was out but when I saw her in the nest I would take her out, hoping she didn't really want to lay. That night I checked and she was on the roost with the rest. So it works and I'm glad it did cause I don't have a wire cage & would feel terrible having her locked up in that while the rest were out [​IMG]

7. rooster58

Dec 31, 2016
    Upstate NY

That is encouraging. I figure I'll try it. Sure isn't gonna hurt to try.

8. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    [​IMG] Drag out the popcorn, ha ha! That's how I figured it, would try the "easiest" in the mean time was looking into the cost/ordering of a wire cage. I just didn't want to separate her nor lock her up [​IMG] Good luck, hope it works for you. Think the sooner it's done the better?

9. rooster58

Dec 31, 2016
    Upstate NY

Well surprise surprise. She took her self to roost tonight. Let's hope I can keep it up and convince her that she really doesn't want to brood right now. Lol

1 person likes this.
  10. Elemes

Elemes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    WV
    My Coop
    ChickNanny's method doesn't work on my girl, she finds her way into the box from the roost. I tried that first - she doesn't mind the crate, really. She seems pretty comfortable.
    Must have heard me talking about her broodiness, by the way, she started back again today. :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by