1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

breaking a broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Amastacia, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Amastacia

Amastacia Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    SW Michigan
    i have a hen that has been broody for a few weeks now. she seems to be getting up to eat and drink, and i remove her from the nest box every time i go out to the coop, but she is being stubborn. i want to break her broodiness, especially since i don't have a rooster and don't really have room for more chicks this year. i am planning on putting her in a spare rabbit cage, but i want to make sure i do everything right to get her to stop as quickly and as stresslessly as possible.

the rabbit cages i have aren't really big, i think 18x24, and they are the set of 6 in two columns of three (with trays) so i don't know how much air flow there is (they are also in the garage, not outside). should i just put her in there with food and water and wait until she stops brooding?

also, how do you know when they are done brooding?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  2. Amastacia

Amastacia Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    SW Michigan
    bump?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by