breaking a dog from chasing chooks

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ajlynco, Dec 3, 2011.

1. ajlynco

ajlynco Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Reno, NV.
    What are some ways to keep a dog from chasing/killing chickens that doesn't involve getting rid of the dog?

2. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    start with keeping the dog confined or on leash at ALL times. Do not give the dog a chance to learn that chasing the birds is fun.

With the dog on leash, start at a great enough distance that the dog just notices the birds. Say "leave it" and reward the dog when he looks at you instead of paying attention to the birds. Keep working at this distance until the dog is reliably ignoring the birds and following your commands

Move a few feet closer and start again. If the dog ignores you and focuses on the birds, back up a few steps and start again.

Repeat this pattern, always with the dog on leash, until you are right next to the birds. If you plan to free range, let the birds out and, with the dog at a distance, work again until the dog is reliable.

Let the dog off leash, but under close supervision. This is where you will really learn if you are going to have to have the dog always leashed/confined when the birds are around. Some dogs have a much higher prey drive and can't be trusted off-leash. The temptation to jump on the little squeeky toys is just too great... Never ever leave your dog unsupervised off-leash or uncontained around the birds.

If the dog DOES kill a bird, pick up the remains. Gripping it firmly, smack yourself violently around the head and neck while screaming "bad owner! Never leave the dog unsupervised"

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

Couple of things come to mind. I introduced all of my dogs to the chickens, hogs, goats, cats, etc... one dog at a time and simply yelled at them when they showed aggressiveness. That didn't work with all of the dogs and I did lose 1 chicken and one did without tail feathers for a bit. I also have training collars (shock) for my beagles. They have 6 settings (yes, I have tried them on myself). I put the collar on the troublesome dog and bumped it up to 4. Every time he looked sideways at a chicken, he got shocked. Believe it or not, after about 4 hits, he doesn't even look at them. Had to redo the training one time. In their mind, they relate chicken to pain.

Good luck.

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    If you don't consider yourself a dog whisperer a shock collar works fast, easy and the dog get's the idea real quick, plus as the trainer you don't have to be all that smart, so it works for allot of folks.

5. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Try a water hose.

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:Definifty the way to go, well said and well done. I fear most folks will not be willing to do this however for obvious reasons, remember the group we are talking about.

7. dainerra

Jun 4, 2011
    shock collars do require a certain amount of know-how. You don't just slap it on and shock the crap out of the dog when he walks towards the birds. If you are going to use one, please do research and learn about doing it correctly.

Zapped at the wrong time, you can actually CAUSE the dog to attack the chickens. He can associate being near them with the pain and try to kill them before they hurt him.

8. Juno's Chicks

Juno's Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2011
    Berks County
    I've really worked with my dog and being nice with the chickens... I'd never leave her alone with them, BUT she does walk around and lays with them now without any problems while I'm around. It's taken a couple weeks to get here.

In the dog world, who eats when is a big deal. The leader eats first and then on down the line. I would give food/treats to the chickens while the dog sat and watched and then offered some to the dog. It's all about showing the dog that the chickens are not toys.

With ANY aggression... correct it in the first 3 mintues of happening. Find something your dog really hates-sound typically works and make sure to do this consistently.

If no improvement.... shock collar.....

GOOD LUCK!!! [​IMG]

9. dainerra

Jun 4, 2011
    no, any corrections must happen IMMEDIATELY while the action is taking place. 3 minutes later, the dog has no idea what he is being corrected for. That is why keeping the dog on leash is the most important part in the beginning. If you have to chase down the dog to correct him, he will not think "I shouldn't have chased the chickens" He will think "I shouldn't have let them catch me!"

10. Juno's Chicks

Juno's Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2011
    Berks County
    whoops sorry!!

I meant to type within 3 seconds!!!

Thanks for the catch!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by