Breaking all the rooster rules

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, May 20, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have a set of rules I use for raising roosters. I'm always preaching those rules on BYC. I do NOT make a pet out of a rooster.

Roosters are not pets. Hens can be pets, but roosters are meant for protection and procreation.

With my boy TJ, the new leader of my brahma flock, I have broken all those rules. I carry TJ around, I baby him, I pet him, I feed him from my hands.

This afternoon I reluctantly put TJ down after carrying him around for hours. Set him down outside the kitchen door, told him cya later! and came inside.

I hear a peck, peck, peck and then, wait for it.........

A COCKLEDOODLEDOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! His very first @ almost 4 months old. I went inside, he didn't like that.
    *Heavy sigh* At least his crow sounds like his daddy's, nice and baritone, not like that other rooster running around here. [​IMG]

2. Smith farm

Smith farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Blum, Tx
    Lol a friend of mine has a roo like that it's the funniest thing to see him come runnin and try to court her when she comes outside!!! [​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Very bad thing rooster courting you. Tomorrow, soon as things settle down, I'm going to have to break the bad news to TJ. Hopefully once he realizes that he now has a coop full of brahma hens all to himself, he'll forget all about this broken down old (human) biddy. [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Hehehehehehehehe. Hang on. Hehehehehehehehehe. Wait. Hehehehehehehehehe. No, no, wait. Hehehehehehehehehe.

<*deep breath*>

Well, some rules just beg to be broken.

5. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I have one rooster who will wing dance anything as a show of dominance....including all the other roosters, the dog, the cat,my daughters, and he has tried it once ,and once only, on me. I did my own version of the wing dance to him (thank goodness we have no close neighbours) after which I grabbed him and walked around with him under my arm until he had been seen by everything. I occasionally reinforce my status by wing dancing him and then picking him up and stroking him.

I'm sure others have resorted to these means, but non-chicken owners would be a bit troubled by the antics.

6. GLBRWyans

GLBRWyans Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Central Louisiana
    To funny !!!!!

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks &amp; Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yuck it up. Yeah, y'all get to enjoy this one. Want something else to laugh about? In the next youngest set of chicks, there's another dark brahma over light, looks just like TJ. Guess what? It's a rooster too! [​IMG]

8. GLBRWyans

GLBRWyans Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Central Louisiana
    Well , I guess you have been blessed [​IMG] . I am new and posted a question about introducing a new hen into an already existing bridge club , but they aren't accepting , might they in time ?

9. TeriyakiChicken

TeriyakiChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Western Australia
    Reminds me of my gorgeous silkie roo. He is such a show off. Pity I named him Teriyaki though...

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks &amp; Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

Just one hen Doug? How old are the other hens? If the old gals can see the new gal for awhile, maybe through some bars or wire, then be introduced at free time outside, during snack maybe? they should eventually accept her. Time is a great thing.

Some folks suggest adding a new member at night. They all wake up, there's a new member, chickens aren't the sharpest tools in the shed. That method troubles me a bit. What if they do notice? I'm not usually out at my chicken coop at daybreak in case it doesn't all go well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by