1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breaking broodiness

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Pork Pie Ken, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Two of my hens were broody for 8 weeks. As a last-ditch attempt to break their broodiness i placed one hen in a small coop, outdoors for 4 days. During that period she looked pretty cheesed off. When i released her (my hens free-range during the day time) she immediately went back to her good- old self (and even let me pet her, which she would certainly not do when she was broody!). It seems that temporary "solitary confinement" did the trick. Just thought that i would share my experience .

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Cool.

The tried and true method is a wire bottom cage elevated off the ground to get cool air to the underside. If caught early, it only takes 2 days max.
    When I was growing up we had 100+ layers in a large henhouse and free ranging in an orchard. We had 5 homemade cages hanging from the ceiling. There were always 2 or 3 hens in solitary.

If one isn't going to give them fertile eggs, it's better to break them immediately.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Great feedback - i will give that a try next time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by