1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

breaking broody in wire cage - how long??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TM Chickens, Jun 18, 2008.

1. TM Chickens

TM Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Alabama
    I've read lots of previous posts on stopping a hen from being broody, and I've tried throwing her off the nest several times a day, putting ice under her, blocking off the nesting boxes... We finally put her in a wire cage, raised off the groud nearly a foot. How do I know when she's ready to come out and not keep sitting? We already have 3 hens that hatched chicks and just cannot handle any more or I would put an egg or two under her.

2. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    Nothing is working for me and my broody. I quit and I am giving in and letting her sit on eggs!!![​IMG]

3. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Some broodies can be very hard to break up. The wire cage approach does tend to work best. You'll need to give her a few days and watch her closely. As she comes out of the broody phase she should stop clucking and fluffing up and should behave more normally. Good luck!

4. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    We keep our broody girls in "chicken jail" from anywhere to 3 days to a week and agree with seriousbill...watch her closely and you'll know when she comes out of it.

Dawn

5. TM Chickens

Mar 3, 2008
    Alabama
    Thanks for the replies. We noticed she was still 'fluffing up' this morning when we checked on her. So when she stops that we'll let her out and see how she does. Guess we could always put her back in the jail, um, vaction condo [​IMG], if she keeps going to the nest again.
    Chickens are soooo fun!

6. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I usually wait until they stop "growling" at me too. Some of my very very broody birds I leave in the cage until they lay an egg.

7. naturemom

naturemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2007
    northern IL
    Usually it takes mine about 3 days, sometimes less if I can catch them early enough, and 1 took close to a week. If you let them out and they go back to the nest, you just take them out and put them back in jail.

8. TM Chickens

Mar 3, 2008
    Alabama
    It worked! She was very docile this morning (in the cage) so we let her out and watched her. She's fine! Hasn't been to the nesting boxes once and is roaming with the other hens. Checked on her again at noon and still good!! She was locked up 2 days.

9. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Congrat's and Welcome to BYC, by the way! [​IMG]

Dawn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by