Breaking Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Beechwood, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Beechwood

Beechwood New Egg

Oct 1, 2012
    We're new at this, so any and all suggestions greatly appreciated. Our hens are starting to lay which is exciting and wonderful and of course the eggs are incredibly delicious! But, every morning for the past three, there has been a broken egg underneath one of the perches, which means we have to try and scrub and clean up the poop board right away. They don't seem to be eating the shells, this morning even most of the yolk was still there. Now what?

Thanks

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

One of your layers is laying her egg on the roost.. I have NEVER had that happen, but I have heard of people that have.

I have read a blog where someone used a hammock to stop the eggs from breaking. I am trying to figure out how that worked, but I'll get back to you.

By the way :welcome !

3. Cotton42

Cotton42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    St. Louis, Missouri
    I've had 3 or 4 of my new layers do this. Because their systems are still working out the kinks and the hen is new to laying sometimes in the beginning a new layer will lay in the middle of the night while sleeping. I had one hen that did this 3 times in a row before she laid her first egg in a nesting box. She just hasn't got it all figured out yet, but she will soon.

4. Beechwood

Beechwood New Egg

Oct 1, 2012
    Thank you - good idea to try.

5. Beechwood

Beechwood New Egg

Oct 1, 2012
    thank you - that makes sense. and you didn't have a problem with them "eating the broken egg" and becoming accustomed to the taste? that was my biggest fear. will be a little more patient and if it continues will also try the "hammock" approach - have to get creative with that one :)

6. aoxa

I spoke with her, and as soon as she did the hammock, her hen got the idea and laid in the nesting box. :p

Also - My birds will eat eggs that break, doesn't get them eating eggs they just laid, or breaking eggs to eat them.

7. phieaglefan

phieaglefan Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2012
    Central Oklahoma
    This is so helpful! I found a broken egg the other day, and of all places, it was just below a perch. Hmm. I only have two layers and both are older, and usually lay in the same place. I also have several RIRs that are about 13 weeks old and I assumed would not start laying for another 3 weeks or so. I wonder if my broken egg was from an early starter? Is that even possible? Thanks for all the info!

Heidi

8. aoxa

At 13 weeks? I don't think it's a new layer. It's probably one of your older hens that was unable to get off the roost because the day is starting later maybe? Chickens can't see in the dark, so they wouldn't jump off the roost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by