1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Breaking eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by animal lover 13, Aug 25, 2013.

1. animal lover 13

animal lover 13 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2013
    Indiana
    I just some started pullet bantams and i didnt have time to make nesting the first day so they laid on floor and they broke the eggs is this normal?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Well, not normal. Egg breakages are often accidental. Unless they broke the eggs on purpose, so they can eat them. A hen stands up and drops the egg when she lays, so if they landed on a hard surface they would break. That would be accidental. If they pecked the egg and broke it, so they can eat it (which they shouldn't) it's a different story. The flip side of this is an accidental egg breakage may put ideas in their heads about eating eggs, so egg breakages in the coop/run should be prevented as far as possible. Get some nest boxes in place for them, something semi-dark with nice, soft nesting materials in it and add a gold ball or two to make it more attractive and discourage egg pecking at the same time. (I can't imagine pecking a golf ball would be much fun!)

3. animal lover 13

animal lover 13 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2013
    Indiana
    Thx [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by