1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breaking even...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hxcmark, Dec 4, 2009.

1. hxcmark

hxcmark Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2009
    How many of you can honestly say that you "break even" with your chickens as far as money goes? I am just curious since a lot of people are already trying to buy eggs from me and my birds are only 3 weeks old. From what I hear, people pay good money for free range eggs!!!

2. Chooksaurus

Chooksaurus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    NW WI
    We spend about $30/month on feed/scratch for 26 birds. I sell a dozen eggs for $2. As far as feed goes, I break even halfway through the month. Throw extra electricity and such in there, and I probably come out close to even by the end of the month.

I've been told by those who buy my eggs that they are "super cheap" and "a steal". I could probably sell them for more money, but I was only ever looking to cover our feed costs. I wouldn't feel right raising the price a few months after I started selling them. It seems that $3 is a pretty standard rate around here.

3. Jimmiaandboys

Jimmiaandboys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Bennington County, VT
    That's a great question! Excluding the cost of building an insulated 8x8 henhouse w/20x8 run with electric fence and light, we come close. We sell several dozen eggs a week, give some away and consume a couple dozen ourselves. I will say what we sell covers feed, scratch, treats ie:cottage cheese. During the warmer months free ranging cuts down on feed consumption dramatically. Of course, we're new to this and our girls just started laying in earnest the last 2 months. I'm sure there are many BYC folks who can give you more detailed info, though. You're fortunate to have a market for your eggs whenever your girls start laying.[​IMG]

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I get 3$ a dozen and I dont break even one bit lol... All I want is to make up for their food and such which I dont yet. They get a 250 watt heating bulb in their coop-its a huge coop and 35 birds. 200 lbs of food a month 50 lbs of scratch a month-I get just shy of 2 doz eggs a day. I make about 15-20 a week selling eggs and such so maybe by the end of the full year maybe??? Id rather sell hatching eggs and take the time to wrap and mail the dozen than to sell hatching eggs for 3$ a dozen haha...

5. hxcmark

hxcmark Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2009
    Thanks for your help!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by