1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breaking Feathers and Blad Spots..... Mites???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenPeep, Oct 24, 2013.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Hello everyone!
    My favorite hen used to have the most beautiful, glossy feathers. But for a while now, they've been chewed up and ratty. My chickens live in my basement but spend most of the time outside. I thought, for a while, that her feather looked this way due to a lack of sunlight. But recently, it's gotten worse.
    Over the summer, this hen (named Ebony) got a bald spot on the left side of her head. I figured she was just having a mini molt and I ignored it. Well, that filled in, but then she got a bald spot on the right side. I thought it would fill in, but after a few weeks when it had not, I went and bought some BOSS to give her some extra protein. It's October now, and it still hasn't filled in. I noticed lately that the skin in the spot looks a little red. Recently, I have been seeing Ebony's feathers around the coop, but upon further inspection I find that they have broken off and the root is still in her skin.
    I also noticed that my rooster's vent looks bare. It's really ugly. :eek: My buff silkie looks ratty as well, but my other 2 chickens do not. (Probably because they just molted and have new feathers)
    I had a mite problem several years ago but these mites were visible and I could see them crawling around. I have inspected my birds and have not seen anything. I also have a new coop than I had during the mite problem. So I don't know. What do you think? Mites? And if so what's the best way to treat it?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It could be feather-picking by your birds if there is too little room, too little protein, or boredom. It may be happening on the roost at night. Feathermites can also be a problem. Red mites only come out at night, so to find them on the birds you have to look on them at night after dark with a flashlight. Here are some very good links with pictures:
    : http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html
    http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8162.pdf

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by