Breaking Miss Broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PatS, Jul 23, 2010.

1. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    Well, one of our two BOs who hatched out chicks this spring decided to go broody again. We have her separated from the coop (and the nest boxes) in a good sized doggie kennel with plenty of food and water and a roost. How will we know that she is no longer broody? Do I wait till she lays an egg on the ground? (She's a fastidious girl, I hope she can bring herself to do that!)

She still fluffs way up when the other birds or I pay her a visit through the fence. Other than that, she spends most of the time pacing back and forth, with her eye on the coop! When she's pacing, she looks and acts pretty normal but when I let her out to test her resolve the night before last she ran straight to the nest box and started her zen meditation...

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Do you have a cage with a wire bottom so cool air can circulate up under her? I've read that helps in anywhere from a couple of days to a week.

3. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    Nope, I don't have a wire cage. She roosted on a smallish roost all night and has been walking around on grass during the day. I don't think I've even seen her laying down in the grass.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by