Breaking my Brood

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lionessT, Apr 5, 2011.

1. lionessT

lionessT Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2010
    Northern CA
    My EE has gone brood on me. I don't want anymore chickens and having her hatch one would make me want to keep it. Besides she hasn't laid in over a week and I like getting my 3 eggs a day (3 chickens = 3 eggs). [​IMG]

I have heard some suggestions reading through the forums of how to break a brood, but would like to get more idea's. I do not have any room to put her in a seperate cage and I don't want to spend a bunch of $$. I've heard if I cool down her body temp this could work? I'm not worried about her health and she does venture off the nest breifly. I collect any eggs laid by my others right away. And the last couple days my others have been laying elsewhere since Ms. EE is being a nest hogger. Suggestions on how to break her???

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    good luck, most would say put her in a cage with wire bottom, since you can't do that and can't lock the others out of the coop then I don't have any ideas, I went through this all last summer with 2 girls one a chicken the other a duck and I just kept going in their respective house making them leave and making sure there were no eggs left for them to sit on. sorry i can't help more. all the best.

3. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    I removed all eggs immediately and placed her in a cage. She was broken in three days and took about a week to start laying again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by