Breaking neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenbaguette, Sep 25, 2011.

1. chickenbaguette

chickenbaguette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    I have a very ill bantam and I need to kill her. You might have seen my other two posts about this..

Can anyone describe exactly how to break a chicken's neck? The way you do it by hanging them upside down and then pulling down on the head. Pictures would be very useful too. And is the head meant to come right off?

Thank you! :L

2. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    a very easy humane way to kill one is to hang it upside down and find where the vain in their neck is (find where their pulse is) and cut a deep incision right there and they will die in a short time. or you could just hold the head and wind it around like a wind mill killing the chicken instantly. or just cut its head off with an axe. sorry for your difficult situation [​IMG]

3. chickenbaguette

Jul 2, 2011
    I should think cutting the neck is very painful since they don't die instantly [​IMG] but I suppose it doesn't matter when it's dead. It won't know it ever lived. :'( Thank you for the suggestions :L

4. ragnar1107

ragnar1107 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2011
    Elkhorn Wisconsin
    I'm guessing that you own chickens for the eggs and as a pet thing so having to cull is probably somewhat distressing . Hanging them upside down by either tying there legs or the best way using a cone and slicing their throats is the best way of dispatching a chicken. There are threads here that will tell you exactly how to do it and if you go on youtube there are tons of videos of people actually doing it.

5. Cakela

Cakela Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    Southern New Hampshire
    Very sorry for your situation. This video shows a woman dispatching a chicken in a loving way by cutting it's throat. It's very graphic, but it might help you.

6. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    The Gail Damerow method: grab the head with the comb in the palm and thunmb in the throat and pull. Make sure you snap it, it is surprising how little force is needed but do it firmly.

7. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I posted the broomstick method youtube in your other thread. Take a peek! [​IMG]

8. chickenbaguette

Jul 2, 2011
    Thank you all very much! [​IMG]

9. macdoogle2

macdoogle2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    San Diego
    Chickenbaquette, I just want to co-miserate. I'm facing the same situation as you and need to put one of my hens down as well. My hen was born with a broken leg and has been hobbling around on her one good leg. She is 27 weeks. Now she is unable to stand even on her good leg. Difference is I pick her up all the time and hand feed her treats. Good luck with your tough choise.

10. chickenbaguette

Jul 2, 2011
    macdoogle2 - just seen your comment, sorry! I doubt you'll see this, though. I did kill her, and it's been so much better. I was so happy after I did it, I hadn't realised how much I hated to see her in such pain, not being able to walk and hardly able to eat. I'm sorry to hear about your chick, I hope she's ok now, dead or alive [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by