Breaking the broody hen

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gaited horse, May 14, 2011.

1. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    I have a buff that's super broody and she won't stop. Any ideas?

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Put her in a wire cage.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Hi Gaited! [​IMG]

The usual method is to somehow cool her underside off. If you can move her to a wire cage with just food and water for several days it may be enough. Several days being 3-4. Some people raise the cage or hang it in order to increase air circulation. The real key is to take away ALL nesting material!

A lot of folks have said that dunking her underside in water works, I've never tried it. Good luck!

4. san415

san415 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    I have a coop that has a large people door and also has a cover over the nest boxes. I open the door and the nest box cover so that its very light in the coop. If that doesn't work in a day or two, I lock the hens out of the coop for a few hours and place the broody hen out side also.

I have let the silkie ( my most broody hen) raise two chicks I got from the farm store this year. Worked out great. But I wont be able to do that again as I have no more room for extra hens. She is sometimes hard to break from being broody, seems to be broody about 4 times a year. So if the above methods don't work I will also let the hens free range out of the chicken yard. That isn't something they do very often. I need to keep the rest of my yard looking nice. So I open the gate at around an hour or two prior to dusk, and she is so excited to be in my garden that she stops pacing trying to get back inside the coop.

5. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I've heard about people suspending the bird in a cage, but have never had to try it. I usually just let my hens hatch babies. Buff Orpingtons are pretty well known for their broodiness, so once you "break" her of it, she might go right back at it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by