Breast and Belly Feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chikineer, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Chikineer

Chikineer New Egg

Jun 5, 2011
    Okay, so, I have raised chickens before, I know enough to know that this is a little odd, so hopefully someone can lend some advice or suggestions on how to help this hen!

My neighbor just moved in, decided that having barnyard animals is a novelty and that once you're bored with them you don't have to take care of them anymore. He got horses, ran out of hay, REFUSES to take the free hay from another neightbor who grows it, and offered it so that this man can feed his horses, instead he let them out onto scrub and sagebrush to graze. I feel for the horses [​IMG]

Then, he got chickens. We're currently building a coop, and offered to take the chickens from him, he ran out of feed and turned them loose. They're terrorizing all of the other neighbors, ruining gardens, making messes in yards, etc. So hey, we said we'd take them, still waiting to hear back. Today, a BIG white hen came into our yard, we fed her, and showed her where the coop is to be, it has three walls and a roof right now, so she can get out of the weather if she needs to. But for like two weeks these chickens have been on their own, eating next to nothing they're skin and bone. It's very sad. Not enough bugs right now since it's been so cold in Idaho recently, so they're not getting anything to eat. We bought feed yesterday, so we're feeding the ones that come into our yard, as of today. Anyhow. This white hen, we noticed had very few feathers around her butt. I know this can be due to fecal matter causing discomfort, soI shrugged it off and figured they would grow back. We checked on her tonight, and I noticed that she has NO feathers on her belly either. It literally looks like someone took a razor to her belly. So from where her wings meet her body, but underneather her in a straight line it's bare and bright red. I think it looks self inflicted, but I'm not positive about that.

I'm not sure why her feathers are gone, but I'm worried. I believe it's too early for her to be moulting, and since they're free range, I have no idea if she's laying or what. She also carries her wings a ittle odd, they don't sit against her body, they kind of poke out and look ultra ruffled.

So my questions is what is causing the red, bareness on her butt and belly? mites, bad nutrition, what's going on? If something is wrong that I can help her with, I'd rather fix it sooner than later. Also, if you have any idea why she carries her wings so oddly, I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks everyone!

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    I remember finding a horse outside of Blackfoot once that had no food or water... just grazing land. I turned it into the ASPCA in Pocatello and they rescued it. I think you should do the same for this guys horses and chickens. I don't know where in Idaho you are - but report it to the nearest ASPCA. Then volunteer to adopt the chickens if you want them! This guy needs his buttocks charged and dragged to court for neglect!

3. Chikineer

Chikineer New Egg

Jun 5, 2011
    I'm out near Kuna/Melba, so it's a bunch of farmers [​IMG] Turning him in is a serious consideration right now, Looks like another neighbor is starting to confiscate the chickens when they wander into his yard and putting them in with his own chickens. He should give them to us when our coop is done. I'm not completely sure what going on with the horses. I know they ran out of hay, the horses went like a week without food and became stick skinny, and then were finally turned loose into scrub and brush, and they fattened up a bit, but I have no idea if they have a true source of water. I'll look into it though.

Saw the big white hen, her chest is looking even redder than before, still not sure why...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by