Breast Blisters

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by SaraF, Jul 10, 2010.

1. SaraF

SaraF Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2010
    Ohio
    My market turkeys and broilers this year for fair got breast blisters. We have been raising chickens and turkeys for many years and never had this problem. We have a week before fair. Any solutions to these blisters to get them to subside, or decrease noticeablity and size. I would say the turkeys have blisters a half in diameter. Any treatments?

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Raw honey!

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

4. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:really??? do you know the means by which this works?

they don't try to mess w/ the honey at all when it's on them? mmmmmmmmmm.... raw honey [​IMG]

5. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Don't know about birds but it certainly works on blisters caused by burns...overnight! Honey is a natural antibiotic, antifungal, antimicrobial....they are now using it in wound dressings for humans..finally...and they say that placing the honey on the wound causes it to become disinfected.

I tried it on a real deep burn on my finger and you could barely see the place the next morning. Just honey and bandaid did the trick.

I'd say the flies might like it but at least they will leave the flesh alone! [​IMG]

6. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    thank you for the great tip! definitely storing THAT one in the mental file......

i burn myself constantly when cooking so it shouldn't be long before i try it myself! [​IMG]

7. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Yes, honey is amazing at wound healing. It's anti-infective, and the sugars feed the new cells and they grow faster. I use it all the time, it's great. I've had fairly deep cuts on my fingers heal almost completely in 3-4 days, as opposed to around 10, untreated, or treated with AB ointment. A painful cut will be pain-free by the next morning, if I immediately dress it with honey, and cover with a band-aid.

8. otterson1

otterson1 New Egg

Mar 29, 2017
    My hen has an area like this that popes up after a prolonged time in the box due to wet weather....will it ever go away? It won't drain, I've tried...she no longer lays...she doesn't seem to be in any pain or bothered by this thing...would it hurt to eat her? Not that I will, just curious...any suggestions???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by