1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breastfeeding in public

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Hotwings, Jun 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    Ok this is a weird topic I know. I don't own a pc so I usually go to the public library to use the internet. I have had my share of babies and todlers ignored by mothers as they use the internet and I have been very patient. The computers here are laptops and are all on two round tables so there is very little privacy. I don't know why but when mothers get on the internet it seems like they are totally oblivious of whats going on. I have seen todlers wander off, babies screaming, I have seen todlers in charge of newborns too! Today is a first a woman with a baby started to breastfeed right here in the library, no shawl or nothing just plopped it out. Maybe I am a prude, I give this woman kudos for at least paying attention to her baby. I am sure because it is everyone here is watching their monitors they don't see this. I just wanted to know others input on this. I know this is a natural act and all but is a public library the place and should a woman at least put a covering over herself. Have others had this happen to them? Sometimes it is really hard to concentrate when kids are hollering and screaming in the background.

2. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    I would definitely be more discreet. [​IMG]

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I breastfed my youngest almost a year. I had to feed her in shamu stadium, Universal.... but i always had a cover or a jacket or something with me. Never had any complains.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I completely believe that she should be modest at all times. There's no shame about breastfeeding, but geez, I dont want to see it in public. I had a woman do what you describe in my own livingroom in front of my husband. I told her not to do it anymore. Sorry, women may be able to shift mental gears about it, but I doubt many men can, LOL. Nope, cover up.

5. Keisha

Keisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    Well I think there should be sofas in most restrooms , so that they can go in there and breastfeed their babies. Around here there isn't any of those..
    But most people I see seem to cover themselves up fairly well.

6. montcapu

montcapu Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    laingsburg, MI
    hi, my breadt fed all 3 of my children and I always used somehing to cover up with, but my brothers wife never used anything to cover up, and it did not matter where or who was around her, she just flopped it out and fed him.... and one time right next to my dad, his face has never been so red in his life and he looked foward the whole time... it all depends on the woman
    angela

7. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I had 2 babies and I nursed both of them. I never nursed in public. I know people will say, "why should my baby have to eat somewhere hidden?" and if you feel that way,by all means feed wherever you want to, but mine didn't care one whit for the scenery. They were interested only in filling that little belly.

8. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    I think ill behaved children are a topic separate from breastfeeding.

I have issues with mothers letting kids run unsupervised. No issues with nursing in public.

9. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I'm not a mother, but I will say that whenever I see something like that, it makes me VERY uncomfortable. I think if it were me, I'd go into a restroom or some other, more private place. To me, that should be done in private, unless there's no way to get to a private place. JMO.

10. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I breastfed in public ALOT - I never put a cover over!

Covering makes it hot and uncomfotable, and just unpleasant.

Granted I never did HANG IT ALL OUT in public, nothing could be seen - I wore baggy t-shirts. Well I won't go into all the clothing detail - but nothing could be seen at all.

We have to wonder why people are so offended by seeing a baby being nurtured as nature intended in a public place...
    If it is a woman's breasts that are offensive, then well we have a problem here. And its not her problem, we as HUMANS with a brain need to remember what they were MADE to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by