Breathing difficulties

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Momhen, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Momhen

Momhen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    Anyone have any thoughts on what could be causing breathing difficulties in an otherwise healthy 3 year old sussex bantam hen? She was normal until yesterday when I noticed her breathing was noisy and labored. Yesterday it seemed like putting her head down to eat was uncomfortable so she didn't eat any of the mealworm treats which she would usually fight for. I don't think she ate much all day as her crop was small at night. Today her breathing is more labored, even a bit squeaky/noisy. I'm sure she hasn't eaten. Noticed her standing to roost instead of sitting on her perch. Gave her a few steam treatments but they don't seem to have any affect. No discharge from her nostrils or mouth.

What could be causing this and what should I do? Hate to see her suffering.

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Maybe an upper respiratory infection (Infectious Bronchitis) or could be Colibacillosis, or Fowl Cholera. I would start her on an anti biotic. I would isolate her in a cage & scramble some eggs for her and mix the anti biotic over the eggs. Good luck. Keep us posted.

3. Momhen

Momhen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    Sounds like a good start.

4. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Fungal problems/humidity and capillary worms are often overlooked as culprits of respiratory distress. Some Capillaria sp. of intestinal worms migrate to the crop or esophagus/trachea. Albendazole, the ingredient in Valbazen suspension will get rid of them. Dosage for a Bantam hen is .25 cc given orally with a syringe. A second dosage is given 10 days after the first. Check the crop to see if it is empty in the morning.

Fungal problems are addressed here, and humidity,poor ventilation in the coop can be a problem: http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/page11.htm

I would worm first in the morning on an empty crop if possible, if you haven't done so recently, then take care of other possible environmental conditions which could be promoting the problem.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by