breathing difficulty

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shotzy007, Feb 20, 2014.

1. shotzy007

shotzy007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2013
    Texas
    Okay so I have read some of the posts on dander and dust. Lately I have had alot of problem breathing. Had a cardio and pulmonary test done, I am 60 and the test said I had the heart lungs of a 51 year old. Dont know if that is good but there you have it. I also had a chest xray it was normal. I suspected the coop because we all know how dusty it is..so I started wearing a mask like the dentist wears while spending much time in there. Today I cleaned a little, poop bar, changed the bedding (pine shavings) raked the 14 feet by 16 feet run..But out a little DME...all with this mask on. Wow, my lungs hurt and feel like someone is sitting on my chest...opinions on whether this is dust or dander??? 3M painting mask would be better, has anyone used these? Sorry I am rambling...

2. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

I don't have any advice but I hope you figure it out! Is it possible the mask was inhibiting your oxygen intake? Perhaps a "respirator" instead of a dust mask would be better something with better air flow?

Hope you feel better!

3. shotzy007

shotzy007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2013
    Texas
    Thank you I appreciate that. We also have many feathers with the weather going from 30 to 70 all the time. Guess I will try a 3M mask.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by