Breathing fast

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ShaneM, Mar 8, 2017.

1. ShaneM

ShaneM Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2015
    Hello everyone. So I have some new chicks (almost 3weeks old). One of them seems to breath really fast and heavy all the time. What could this mean? I also have one that's beak doesn't quite match up. Bottom is shifter out a bit. The chick is a good size and putting on weight so don't think it's effecting it's eating at all. But anything I can do about that as well? Thanks a lot

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Are you using a heat lamp with a thermometer under the light on the floor of your brooder? What is the temperature? 3 week olds need about an 80-85 degree brooder, but a cooler spot to escape to. If it gets too hot, they can pant. If the air circulation is not good, if there is any mold in the bedding from spilled water or feed, they can get brooder pneumonia or aspergillosis, a mold disease. Also droppings can start producing ammonia odors which all can cause breathing problems in young chicks.
    Can you post a picture of the beak on the chick? Is the beak crooked or just over grown?

3. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Be Happy! Read more. Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    My first/only GUESS would be the chick is hot.
    Can you post a picture of your brooder also?

4. ShaneM

May 28, 2015
    [​IMG]. That's the only picture I have of the brooder at the moment. But it's about 4'x6'. And heat is only on one side so they have lots of room to get away from it. I keep it pretty clean for them. I will try and get a picture of the beak tomorrow.

5. KikisGirls

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Ok I highly doubt she it too hot now after seeing how much room she has to get away from the heat.

hmm...
    [​IMG]

6. ShaneM

May 28, 2015
    She has pretty much been breathing like this since the get go. Moves around and does everything like the rest of them and is growing good. Just makes me a little worried.

7. KikisGirls

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    I have no idea why it is breathing like that...maybe it's just her normal breathing?

8. ShaneM

May 28, 2015
    Maybe. Thanks for your help though [​IMG]

9. KikisGirls

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    She still breathing in her own way?
    Eating and drinking and growing?

10. ShaneM

May 28, 2015
    Yup she does everything normal. Just always breathing a lot faster then the rest

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by