Breathing form mouth,tail down,comb/wattles very dark..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kimntep, Feb 3, 2012.

1. kimntep

kimntep Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    California White hen, about 2 ys old, daily layer..she was fine day-before-yesterday..didn't check on them yesterday. She's breathing from her mouth, hanging by herself even when they are free ranging, tail is down and her comb and wattles are a dark, dried-blood color, almost a brownish-purple. She's also usually pretty skittish and lets me get a lot closer than normal, unless I try to touch her. Please, any ideas?

2. kimntep

kimntep Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    Anyone??? I'm having to go out of town for the weekend and I'd like to know what to do before I have to leave in a couple of hours!

3. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    I am sorry that i can't really help you as i am new to chicken keeping, i hope some one comes along and can assist you.
    What i can share with you is that i had a hen suddenly become withrawn from the others, after a few days she was just laying down and not moving most of the day.
    I bought her in for closer inspection and she appeard ok, her comb had turned slightly purplish tint in areas, she did not eat or move and slept most of those 2 days, by the 3rd day she was dead.
    I was told that when the comb/wattles turn blue/purple it could mean something wrong with heart/lungs, causing lack of oxygen.
    I hope you have better luck with your girl [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by