Breathing Issue-I'm Really Worried!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Padfoot417, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Padfoot417

Padfoot417 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Hey all.
    I've got a Buff Orpington hen who seems to have a serious breathing issue.
    I noticed it this morning when she came out of the coop,and it wasn't a problem last night.
    She seems to be wheezing really bad,I can hear every breath she takes from several feet away.
    Has anyone else had this problem?
    I'm really worried about Clover,someone please help me!!!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    There are a few things it could be; I'm leaning toward an environmental issue rather than a respiratory problem. Soiled bedding that hasnt been removed or cleaned can cause ammonia fumes to build up inside the coop causing the wheezing. Proper cleaning and/or ventilation will take care of it. Dust inside the coop could be a factor as well, especially if DE is sprinkled around liberally. Feed dust is a possibility too. There's a possibility there could be something stuck in her esophagus. A piece of bread soaked in olive oil given to her to eat will help move the object into her crop if that's what it is. Respiratory problems normally have other symptoms in conjunction with wheezing; bubbly eyes, runny nostrils, shaking their head, sometimes facial swelling etc...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by