Breathing Issue

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sixchicks, Dec 3, 2011.

1. sixchicks

sixchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    One of my Rhode Island Red hens is rasping horribly. I found her sitting in the bottom of the coop Tuesday morning, immediately isolated her inside opur pump house, put a warming light on her (since it has just turned really cold here in Washington), and have been giving her antibiotics in her water since. She laid an egg on Tuesday, but not since and does not seem to be getting any better. She gasps for air whil raising her head with her beak slightly open. She shows some interest in food and water but not much. My other chickens and rooster are just fine. Anyone have any idea what is going on with her? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. violetsky

violetsky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Huntsville, Alabama
    I'm no chicken medic but did you look down her throat, maybe there's an obstruction.

3. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Seems to be a common problem lately. One of mine was doing the same thing last week. I brought him in and he's gotten 1/2 cc Tylan 50 injections for 5 days. Today was his last day for the injections but he's been breathing normally for 2 days now. You can get Tylan50 at Tractor Supply, the injections go into the left breast muscle. It's kind of freaky to stick a needle in their chest, if that bothers you then you can inject into the leg muscle. Give for 5 days.

4. sixchicks

sixchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Thanks...both good ideas. Don't know how she'll feel about me looking down her throat but we'll try!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by