Breathing Problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jak2002003, Jan 27, 2013.

1. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    My new fantail dove is not right. I went to feed her and I could hear her breathing with crackly noises - like she was congested.

When I picked her up she started breathing faster and I could hear and feel 'popping' in her chest area. I am really worried.

I looked in her beak, but can not see any sores or anything stuck there.

She is very skinny and has not been eating much.

2. alecia86

alecia86 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2012
    You sound like you're having the same problem I'm having with my hen. :( I hope we find an answer soon

1 person likes this.
  3. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    I think there is something wrong with the doves lungs ? (maybe you hen also) I thought it might be something called canker, but that had yellow lumps in the birds throat, and the doves does not have any.

I was so careful to isolate the new bird for 3 weeks before putting it in with my other ones. Then just 2 days later this happens!!!! I really hope my other birds don't get sick. That happened once with my chickens when a new one had an infection.

I have just spent too much money trying to save my sick rooster - and sadly he did after over 2 months of different treatment. I still am upset about him - he was a lovely friendly pet that I raised from a chick. My dog also has been ill with a skin problem and the vets can not find what is causing it - and again the vets cost. I just can not afford to start paying more vet bills.

I am giving this a lot of thought and I might take the dove back to the seller - which they are not going to like - I just know they don't look after the animals properly and they will try to blame me. I will just feel so bad for the poor dove to be ill and have to go back to that place, but I am so afraid of my other doves getting sick too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by