Breathing Problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by conquest780, Aug 11, 2013.

1. conquest780

conquest780 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    I have a chick who has started acting weird and now it has gone worse . It has droopy wings , it cannot speak , it is breathing by completely opening and closing its beak , it is not eating or drinking (it is very fond of water , I don't know what happened) , she is standing in the corner and doing nothing while the rest are eating . Well I separated her from the rest . Help!!!!! Quick!!!!

2. conquest780

Mar 5, 2013
    Yes I forgot to mention two things . One; She was pure white but now her skin is getting dark. Two; They are two and a half weeks old.

3. conquest780

Mar 5, 2013
    Cmon people quick its gonna die. HURRY[​IMG]

4. thechooks22

thechooks22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    Queensland, Australia
    Antibiotics....if you dont have any on hand 1-3 drops of bettadine down the throat
    Im not sure whats wronge .... syring feeding ....im not sure but you could try apple cyder vinger 2tbs per litre
    Goodluck

5. conquest780

Mar 5, 2013
    Well ill try that but I need more advice. This guy is getting weaker by the second. Help!!!!!. When I make him stand up he falls down. Cmon!!!!

6. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Have you got any chick saver, if not some sugary water in a dropper or syringe ( without needle )
    You need to give more info. How old , what are you feeding them, are they under heat?

7. conquest780

Mar 5, 2013
    I have kept the chick in the incubator and giving it some sugary water with apple cider added. It seems a little better but still very weak.

8. conquest780

Mar 5, 2013
    I am feeding it yolk and some grains which i normally feed all my chickens with . They are 2 and a half weeks old as I mentioned above and yes they are under heat . Now it's just getting better and then worse again . Now it's unable to stand on its feet. What is this diseas and why is its skin getting darker.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Mix some egg yolk (cooked or raw) with water and see if you can get him to eat/drink that. If you have them/can get them, put some chick vitamins/electrolytes in with the yolk/water mixture. If he won't drink on his own, drip some of the mixture on his beak, or dip his beak into a spoon of water. Putting some sugar in the water, as you are doing, is a good idea, too.

As for the cause of this ailment, do you think he could have accidentally stuck his head in whatever waterer you are using and inhaled some water? If not that, it is possible that he has some obstruction in his throat, or has contacted some respiratory disease. The darkening of his skin signifies that the tissue isn't getting enough oxygen, which is definitely a problem. I would try giving him some olive oil to see if you can move any obstruction in his throat along, as a throat blockage can cause the windpipe to constrict.

If you can, I would isolate him away from the other chicks. If it is a respiratory disease, leaving him in with the others risks them becoming infected, too. Just try giving him supportive care for a day or two. Let him rest, but feed him/give him water every few hours. You need to get his strength up. I would recommend starting him on an antibiotic, such as Tylan or Oxytetracycline, but he may be to weak to withstand that. As a last resort, though, I would treat him with Oxytetracycline (sold under names such as Terramycin, Duramycin-10, LA200, and Tetroxy-HCA). The dosage is 1/8 teaspoon Oxytetracycline per cup of drinking water for 7-14 days. Do not give dairy products during antibiotic treatment.

I hope your chick feels better! Whatever is wrong with him, it is serious, and I'm afraid he won't make it.

10. conquest780

Mar 5, 2013
    Well now it is naked . Almost all of his feathers have fallen off.I was giving it apple cider with water and sugar. I hope it makes it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by