breathing problems

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by melbah, Jan 26, 2013.

1. melbah

melbah Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2012
    I have a rooster that is having some labored breathing, wanting to perch most of the day under the heat lamp and I'm seeing some red muckus stringy type stuff in his droppings sometimes. I have him with one hen in a seperate coop with a heat lamp. I've given him Duramycin 10 and diatamacious earth. He has some problems early in his life and I'm not sure if it's connected. I'm seeing some good improvement with the antibiotics, but not a full recovery.

Should I be concerned about mareks or other diseases. He was not vaccinated.

What else can I do for him?

More of their story....

I had a broody hen abandon her nest last fall while we were gone. We put the eggs in an incubator after we got back and two of the chickens ended up surviving even though they hatched at day 25 and needed help getting going. At two weeks they started showing some signs of difficulty with breathing, not too dramatic but some wheezing and slight laboring with the breathing. I gave them antibiotics...duramycin 10. They seemed to get better.

2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    labored breathing is not good. Check his belly to see if it is enlarged- contains fluid, it will feel tense and like a big ball. Try to get him to eat and drink. can you take him in for a day or so, if it is real cold out. We are at 20 below at night here, a sick or weak bird who is not eating can not survive that.

3. melbah

melbah Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2012
    His chest doesn't seem inlarged.

We are staying above freezing even at night right now, also I put a heat lamp out there for him.

He is eating and drinking, but I don't know how much, he seems like he has lost some weight.

Thank you for the post...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by