BREDING FRIZZLE COCHINS FOR CORRECT BACK AND BODY TYPE

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Glenda Heywoodo, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Glenda Heywoodo

Glenda Heywoodo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2016
    Cassville Missouri
    Judy McAlexander ask Glenda Heywood
    Glenda do you think if you use a frizzle male and then a male from that mateing back on a frizzle female you might get a better male. If some how cross going forward. TRYING TO GET A BETTER BACK.

Glenda Heywood
    Judy to get a better back is easy as long as at least one of the chickens has a short back.

AND YES definately use one of the smooths or one of the frizzles from the mating (which ever sex has the shortest back).
    IE:Cochin type frizzle... needs short back and wide shoulders and short legs to be a good cochin

Thus do away with long back offspring and narrower bodied offspring and long legged offspring.

. BUT DO NOT BREED FRIZZLE TO FRIZZLE for either purpose. as the extreme frizzle genes will ruin your progress so far and lose you another yr's breeding results.

The reason I used the frizzle male was he was broad shouldered and short backed and shoft legged as my smooth femalers were not exactly what I wanted in my mating effect, but were the only ones I could afford and get.

Thus the 2nd yr I only used smooth females from my frizzle male mating previous.I put them back on their frizzled father for yr 2- three and four.

Using different smooth females each yr (AS THE FEMALE IS ONE LINE ie: EACH FEMALE IS A LINE).

SO GOOD RECORD AND BAND MARKINGS ARE NECESSARY

IE: I USED DIFFEDRENT COLORED SPIRAL LEG BANDS WHEN THEY WERE CHICKS AND THEN WHEN i COULD GET THEM TO STAY ON USED NUMBERED BANDS,

EACH COLOR AND NUMBERS FOR A DIFFERENT HEN'S CHICKS.

I always wrote this in my record book each yr. IE: hen 257 was always chicks numbers 257 as a lot.

this is an example as the numbers have to be what are solod today IE: say Hen 3 her offspring all had #3 leg band number etc.

remember the females and the males either smooth or frizzled need broad shoulders and short back and SHORT LEGS.

any other question just ask.
    Glenda Heywood

2. Glenda Heywoodo

Dec 19, 2016
    Cassville Missouri
  3. Glenda Heywoodo

Dec 19, 2016
    Cassville Missouri
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by