breed advice? friendly, hearty, productive

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dftkarin, Jul 16, 2008.

1. dftkarin

dftkarin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    I am splitting an order of chicks with a neighbor and they are all with me at the moment (under heat, 1 week old). I have:

1 australorp
    1 silver laced wyandotte
    1 gold laced wyandotte
    4 barred plymouth rocks

I am to keep 3 and I am hoping to have gentle, friendly, hearty, and hopefully productive chickens that will be fun pets for my child. I chose the australorp because they are supposed to be so gentle and docile (and productive) and I love the way the laced wyandottes look and they are supposed to be winter-hearty. Does anyone have any suggestions about which 3 of these might make the very best pets for a shy/lonely animal-loving kid?

2. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    Can't go wrong with barred rocks. They are always some of the friendlier birds of a flock. They're my favorite next to cuckoo marans.

3. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    ^^^ x2

4. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

As long as you've got barred rocks you can't go wrong! [​IMG] Very hearty, very beautiful, very good layers, and very personable! Just bring them lots of treats and you'll have sweet birds!

5. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    I'll say right off that I haven't had a Wyandotte chicken - just admired their looks from afar.

You were quite correct in choosing an Australorp pullet. Mine have had all those qualities.

From my experience, I'm of the same opinion as everyone else on the Barred Rocks . . . .
    There, I feel good about being so agreeable . . . but somebody probably hates me, anyway [​IMG].

Steve

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I would go with the australorp and barred rocks from those choices. Much calmer temperaments than wyandottes.

Jody

7. Karlachix

Karlachix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    NorthEast
    digitS' :

There, I feel good about being so agreeable . . . but somebody probably hates me, anyway
    Steve

You're Silly! [​IMG]

8. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    BARRED ROCKS! I have had all the rest of your list and they were terrible. I loved my BR she was the sweetest!

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I completely believe in Barred Rocks. LOVE them! I have roosters and hens and the roosters are sweet, too.

10. purplepoen

purplepoen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Michigan
    Most definantly barred rocks! They are the best chickens. So definantly them. If you need a second choice though it would be the austrolorp. They can be quite shy if you dont spend lots of time with them when they're young, but are great layers. Still, barred rocks deffinantly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by