Breed Advice

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by PineBurrowPeeps, Dec 29, 2008.

1. So my son intensely wants to show Seabrights and I'm trying to get him a pair.... I figure that the two of us can show banties as a mother/son thing...

I really want to show a bantie breed myself and Seabrights do not do it for me, but I'm afraid of what breed to pick. I don't want to pick something that is so crazy popular that I would never have a chance. Like locally at the fair this past summer there were a bazillion white silkies at the show so that's out. I'm looking at Cochins, and Japanese right now. I'm guessing they're both pretty common right? What is temperment like with the Japanese?

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Japanese Bantams are very calm and gentle, and make good pets.

3. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I agree Japs. are wonderful and not as shown as much as the Cochins. I say Japanese bantams.

4. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    These are my babies they are going to be shown this year!
    [​IMG]

5. I love the look of them... Very exotic and almost non-chicken like to me. They look more like a fancy expensive pet!

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Not sure about Japanese, but cochins are wonderful. I have a barred cochin (bantam) and he is the sweetest rooster.

7. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Quote:I have had Japanese Bantams for over 25 years and they are wonderful !!! The cochins would also be a great choice for temperment.[​IMG]

8. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    Bantams I havn't seen at fairs in my area:
    New Hamshire
    Plymouth Rocks ((other than Barred))
    Orpinton
    Brahma
    REAL Ameraucana

tons of Silkies, Cochins, Polish!

9. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    Quote:They are very fancy but not that expensive though! mottled are some what i paid $40 for the pair

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by