Breed advice?

BlueMoon-N-Farm

Chirping
6 Years
May 17, 2013
Alright...So long story short I brought my husband home a goose for Christmas dinner. Only his reaction was not what I expected...
he actually was disappointed that I did not get him a female goose as a pet...
So, now that I feel good and bad, I want to figure out what breed would be the best to get for my husband next year to make up for my...woops, even though he is now looking forward to Christmas dinner.

I would prefer something on the quite'er side, something friendly that wont chase you, and something that wont fly and go bother the neighbors who is terrified of birds. the last one is a huge must as that was there only request when we started getting chickens and ducks.

When I started my research I found three breeds that pretty much fit everything.
The Buff goose
The Large Dewlap Toulouse
And the Pilgrim

And now I am trying to gather more info about them and possibly others so that I can pick what breed to get him accordingly :)

Also, can we get just a single goose if we have ducks and other poultry for it to live with? Or would it be ideal for there to be two?

Alright...So long story short I brought my husband home a goose for Christmas dinner. Only his reaction was not what I expected...
he actually was disappointed that I did not get him a female goose as a pet...
So, now that I feel good and bad, I want to figure out what breed would be the best to get for my husband next year to make up for my...woops, even though he is now looking forward to Christmas dinner.

I would prefer something on the quite'er side, something friendly that wont chase you, and something that wont fly and go bother the neighbors who is terrified of birds. the last one is a huge must as that was there only request when we started getting chickens and ducks.

When I started my research I found three breeds that pretty much fit everything.
The Buff goose
The Large Dewlap Toulouse
And the Pilgrim

And now I am trying to gather more info about them and possibly others so that I can pick what breed to get him accordingly :)

Also, can we get just a single goose if we have ducks and other poultry for it to live with? Or would it be ideal for there to be two?
I have some pilgrim type geese and they are so easy. I got them from a farm so they weren´t used to being handled at all, but are so sweet and non-aggressive. Their youngsters I can pick up and none of them get funny about it. The youngsters stay calm. They can fly to get off the ground, but not over fences. Geese love geese. Why not get two females? They´ll do fine.

I have some pilgrim type geese and they are so easy. I got them from a farm so they weren´t used to being handled at all, but are so sweet and non-aggressive. Their youngsters I can pick up and none of them get funny about it. The youngsters stay calm. They can fly to get off the ground, but not over fences. Geese love geese. Why not get two females? They´ll do fine.
Ok, so basically ideal for there to be two, got it! Now I need to figure out if he wants just girls or a pair lol
And thank you for your input about the pilgrims!

Last edited:
I love my American Buffs!
So far its tied between the Pilgrim and Buff! I have asked 24 people, and its still a tie...
Ugh...
Are the two breeds pretty much the same? Or is there anything diferent between them that can help be a deciding factor?...Or...Should I just get one of each to simplify things?

So far its tied between the Pilgrim and Buff! I have asked 24 people, and its still a tie...
Ugh...
Are the two breeds pretty much the same? Or is there anything diferent between them that can help be a deciding factor?...Or...Should I just get one of each to simplify things?
I don´t have buffs, so I can´t compare. I can only compare to my other geese, the mixed-breeds, which are smallish like the others, but pied.
My pilgrim-type geese are so mild. At feed time, even though they´re the larger family (male, 2 females, 8 youngsters), they back off from the other younger family (2females, 4 youngsters) ! And althouh I love my mixed-breed females because I reared them from tinies, I think my auto-sexing ones are fantastic. So mild-tempered. I´m alwasy going to keep ganders from these, as they´re so easy to deal with. And they´re excellent foragers, too. There is absolutely no down-side to them. I handle their babies as I wish, because they know me. My son went down to visit the other day, and the ganders were far more cautious, but soon accepted him. As I say, I´ve not had buffs......

I know, compare my posts with the various posts from flockman and others, and see from the different experiences....behaviour, etc....Oh, and mine don´t lay a lot of eggs, maybe 7, then I let them brood their own eggs, and they make generally good parents, although one of mine broke a couple of her eggs and I lost one gosling, the other made it, but that´s the first time it happened with her. I also got 100% hatch rate from one of them, so I was very pleased. She´s proved to be a superb mum, I think she´s older.
Are buffs bigger than pilgrim? Do they lay a lot of eggs? Are they inclined to go broody? If you read other threads it may help you decide. Have fun..
big_smile.png

I know, compare my posts with the various posts from flockman and others, and see from the different experiences....behaviour, etc....Oh, and mine don´t lay a lot of eggs, maybe 7, then I let them brood their own eggs, and they make generally good parents, although one of mine broke a couple of her eggs and I lost one gosling, the other made it, but that´s the first time it happened with her. I also got 100% hatch rate from one of them, so I was very pleased. She´s proved to be a superb mum, I think she´s older.
Are buffs bigger than pilgrim? Do they lay a lot of eggs? Are they inclined to go broody? If you read other threads it may help you decide. Have fun..
big_smile.png
Ah wonderful advice thank you! I'll go skim through and poke around the different posts to see if I can compare the two :)

Back
Top Bottom