Breed/age of Duckling?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by xxalykxx, Apr 20, 2009.

1. xxalykxx

xxalykxx Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    Arizona
    I bought a duckling from a local feed store a few days ago. He/she was the only duck they had at the time, and I was looking for an adult. I asked the worker if it was old enough to go to a pond on it's own, and they said it was a month and a half old, but they weren't sure exactly how old it was. Do you know what breed and age it is? (Pictures are below) It is almost the size of an adult mallard, so I was thinking it was a rouen. Here are the pics:
    http:[email protected]/
    [​IMG] Thanks!!!!

2. MDC

MDC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    KS
    He's not a Muscovy, the bill is the giveaway. Mallard derivs have that large, flat bill, Muscovy's bills are thinner & have more depth.

I think it's a rouen, personally.

3. spydertoys

spydertoys Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Munfordville, Kentucky
    Mine are all Muscovy's..definitely not a Muscovy.

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    At a month and a half old, if it is almost the size of an adult mallard, it IS a mallard. My 6 week old rouen is bigger than my 1 1/2 year old khaki drake at this point. As for the patch of white on the neck, sometimes that can mean it is a drake.

Is it still making peeping noises or have you heard it full out QUACK yet?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  5. xxalykxx

Apr 19, 2009
    Arizona
    Quote:Peeps, every once in a while a short quack comes out between peeps. But it is more a abrupt grumble not a full"QUACK!"

I do not know how old it is. The person guessed around a month and a half.
    So it is not a muscovy, I just guessed that since that's the breed they usually have.

6. MDC

MDC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    KS
    At best it might be a mule but definitely not a fullblood Muscovy. Another way to tell is the feet/claws. Muscovy will have distinguishable talon-like claws. The angle at which they carry themselves is also a difference between the two but with photos it's not always easy to tell since the bird is interacting/reacting to your presence.

I guess that there are such variations between birds within the same breed that you can't rule out one or the other but I tend to think he's too leggy to be a mallard. All of those that I've had experience with have been more compact and round - closer to that natural state, the wild bird. Of course, it could be a cross between the two which would alter the characteristics of both breeds, etc.

7. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    I have one that looks just like yours and I have assumed it is a mallard. Does anyone have a picture of a Rouen at 2 months old? I have suspected that also. My ducks are on my website, but I don't know that I have a good single shot of that particular duck.

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Here is one around 5 weeks (right)
    [​IMG]

The duck on the left is a 6 week old khaki campbell/runner mix

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  9. xxalykxx

Apr 19, 2009
    Arizona
    Quote:Hmm.... He/she did not have that many adult feathers coming in at all. That one is only 5 weeks? I wonder how old mine is if it's a rouen...[​IMG]

10. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Im guessing rouen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by