Breed and age of my chicks??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AUChick9202, May 11, 2011.

1. AUChick9202

AUChick9202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Utah
    Since I had a surprise roo in my original 4 pullets, I had to buy two more pullets today.....love how that chicken math works! Just wanted to verify the breeds and see if you guys can help me guess the age. The guy I bought them from said they were 4 weeks....that is impossible b/c my other 4 chicks are 4-5 weeks and they look full grown compared to these. They look at the most 2 weeks to me....they have their wing feathers and their tail feathers, but that is it. What do you guys think about the breeds and age?

Here is Alexandra....pretty sure she is a Buff Orp....at least that is what I thought I picked [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is Maddie....bought her as a Black Australorp, but she looks very different than my other BA (more yellow on chest, speckled on face, and more white feathers in wings). My other BA is a roo, so different in this case I hope is a good sign.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. shuizar209

shuizar209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    Id say 2 weeks as well. As for gender I would say it is way too soon. They will lose those white feathers eventually. When I had australorps they did the same thing but they lost the white ones.

3. AUChick9202

Apr 9, 2011
    Utah
    Thanks! At this point I was more concerned with making sure I got the right breeds. The guy that I bought the chickens from was not at home when I came to pick my chicks, so his sister took me to the barn where the chickens were and told me to pick the ones I wanted [​IMG] He told me the breeds he had on the phone, but he also told me they were 4 weeks old too. Just hoping I came home with the BA and BO that I went for....

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  4. jenesis536

jenesis536 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    CA
    2-3 wks, closer to the 3 weeks probably. The one you think is a BA, I don't think so. With mine, I usually get 1 white feather on each side... you have a lot of white on yours. First one maybe a buff orp? The back looks like it's turning a darker tan color.

5. AUChick9202

Apr 9, 2011
    Utah
    Anyone else want to take a guess at breed and age??

6. AUChick9202

Apr 9, 2011
    Utah
    BUMP....please???

7. jimmythechicken

jimmythechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    i would sy 2-3 weeks aswell what breeds did he have at his farm?

8. LittleChickenLady

LittleChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Clanton, Alabama
    The second one does look like a BA to me.
    The BO, I don't think is one. When mine was little she wasn't that yellow, and didn't get the white wings..She was more of a peach color.

9. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    The first chick is not a Buff Orpington. I would guess maybe Leghorn because of the yellow legs and white feathers.

10. AUChick9202

Apr 9, 2011
    Utah
    Quote:According to him, he had Buff Orpington, Rhode Island Red, Black Australorp, and Barred Rock

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by