Breed and egg color

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kwaple001, Apr 6, 2017.

1. kwaple001

kwaple001 Just Hatched

Nov 8, 2016
    I have 5 hens a Buckeye, Rhode Island Red, Golden Buff (Red Star), Plymouth Barr Rock and a Silver Laced Wyandot. They're 5 months old and have just started to lay. I'm trying to figure out who is doing what. Can anyone tell me the typical color of an egg laid by any of these hens? The other day there was so much noise coming from the nest...kicking, thumping, honking and clucking... I went out to see if there were geese flying over or if there was a predator. Fortunately, no predator. Also, no geese around. I opened the box and the Buckeye was in the nest so I petted her and I closed it again because I didn't want to bother her if she was laying. I went out later when I saw she was back out in the run but found 2 eggs. One a very small pinkish brown eggs with very small white specks and one a medium-large deep reddish brown egg. Since I've never heard that kind of commotion from the other hens I'm guessing she was laying her first egg so I'm inclined to think the lighter egg with white speck belonged to her but I'm not sure. It only weighed 1 1/4 ounce (and wasn't a fairy egg). Has anyone ever heard a hen carry on like that. Can anyone take a guess as to who is laying which eggs based on what color egg these breeds generally lays? Will the eggs get larger? Based on a picture from another post, I think the at least some of the darker eggs are from the RIR. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any and all information welcome. Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Mostly guesses based on experience, I think your sex link and RIR are laying the darker eggs. The lighter brown eggs look like barred rock eggs. My Wyandotte tend to lay a lighter brown egg that is more torpedo shaped, but they take longer to start than most breeds. I have no clue about the buckeye.

3. kwaple001

kwaple001 Just Hatched

Nov 8, 2016
    Thank you. Do your barred rock eggs have the white specks in them or do they tend to be s solid color?

4. mohdhamza

mohdhamza Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2017
    Delhi, India
    Whose are the spotted eggs? My hen also laid a spotted egg. I don't know her breed.

5. kwaple001

kwaple001 Just Hatched

Nov 8, 2016
    From what others have commented about which chicken the other eggs belong to [​IMG]

[​IMG]

my guess is these speckled eggs belong to my Buckeye, but I'm sure that's not the only breed that lays speckled eggs. These pics are stock pics, and not my hen, but my Buckeye looks exactly like this, in case you want to compare it to the hen whose breed you're trying to identify. Good luck ! :D

6. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    The speckling can come and go on the eggs. I've seen them more in breeds like sex links. Barred rocks don't lay as dark of brown egg as the speckled ones. It's possible not all your hens are laying yet.

Eventually you should figure it out by seeing who's in the nests and what they leave behind.

7. mohdhamza

mohdhamza Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2017
    Delhi, India
    My hen is very different. Thanks anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by