BREED and GENDER confused about Niki

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AuntGEMs4Sicin, Aug 6, 2014.

1. AuntGEMs4Sicin

AuntGEMs4Sicin Out Of The Brooder

[​IMG]
    This is Niki (knee-key)
    She/He is between 11 and 12 weeks old
    she came from the same grade-school hatchicg project as the two EEs most likely formerly known as Ginger and Mary Ann.

consents on her/his bread is some what conflicting and is consensus on Niki's gender .

all these picks are of Niki from approximately 6 weeks to present . I have many more and can post them if it will help. she seams to randomly be speckled with iridescent black feathers that are more rounded that pointed . but i have noticed one striped white and iridescent (metallic ?) blue-black in her tail and saddle area .
    She has always been a sweat-heart but has become a bit more stand offish the last week or so . When she is calm her comb, waddles, beak , ear and face area are much more yellow and closer to a pink tint. But, when she is annoyed or stressed these areas change to a Fiery red .
    She trills , clucks chirps and "trys to cow" but only when she is alrmed it seams. she doesnt do it every day and inst nearly as loud and the EE most likely formerly known as Mary Ann. Her toe nails are white but her legs are yellow with slate-dark markings that run horizontal across them .

We Would really love to know if she is a she or a he and what breed she is if possible. Thanks for your help in advance everyone ! :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    Thats a roo, sorry

1 person likes this.
  3. Pinkaboo

Pinkaboo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2014
    Cornwall in the UK
    Could be a barred rock

4. Lybe8438

Lybe8438 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Enumclaw,WA
    Dominique

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Barred with yellow legs and a rose comb; it's a Dominique rooster.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Wonder if he is a mix, the comb is funny, with the others being EEs wonder if he is a mix between an EE and and a BR or Dom.

1 person likes this.
  7. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    It's possible, but if so, he lacks the typical greenish legs with EE mixes (I know they don't always have them). :eek:)

1 person likes this.
  8. AuntGEMs4Sicin

AuntGEMs4Sicin Out Of The Brooder

My husband and I were wondering about a Cuckoo Maran and an EE cross? Apparently they don't all have beards ? But we aren't familiar enough with the diffidence of baring and other markings to see if he/she fits the description of BR, Dominique or Cuckoo Maran . Do you , or any one else, see enough in Niki to consider a Cuckoo Maran and an EE cross maybe ?

9. AmandaShivonne

AmandaShivonne Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2014
    Looks like a dominique roo to me

10. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I think the yellow legs make it highly unlikely to be a Cuckoo Maran X EE as Marans have white or slate colored legs and EEs typically have greenish legs. Greenish legs are the norm in EE crosses. The yellow legs are indicative of a Barred Rock or Dominique, but since Barred Rocks have single combs, I think your bird is a Dominique, although there is a slight possibility that he could be an unusual EE X Dominique or Barred Rock hybrid that happens to have yellow legs instead of greenish legs.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by