BREED and GENDER confused about Niki

I think the yellow legs make it highly unlikely to be a Cuckoo Maran X EE as Marans have white or slate colored legs and EEs typically have greenish legs. Greenish legs are the norm in EE crosses. The yellow legs are indicative of a Barred Rock or Dominique, but since Barred Rocks have single combs, I think your bird is a Dominique, although there is a slight possibility that he could be an unusual EE X Dominique or Barred Rock hybrid that happens to have yellow legs instead of greenish legs.

Oh , I see. i think what made us even wonder about a cross was all the otheres are EEs and when searching a possible cross we found the following thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/437832/critique-my-barred-ee-please/10
and
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/94095/barred-easter-egger
and others that seam to indicate that not all the barred X EE have green/slate legs and they apparently don't all have beards and muffs
both threads make the argument for BR and not CM though lol . We havent as yet found any with a Dominique though .and then there is this short thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/524462/cuckoo-maran-ameraucana-cross no pics there though, but it would support CM/EE cross witht he barring being in the males only.

I think i may be interested in breeding Niki with Minie and another females which i will have to purchase some place :) since i apparently have three roos and only one hen :( If Niki is a Dominique male do you think he would bee a good barred roo to bread with Minie for olive eggs and possible barred EE babes?

Dominiques have a rose comb. Barred rocks and marans have a single comb. Niki appears to have a pea comb, which leads me to believe that he is probably an easter egger mixed with something else. Not all EEs will have the beard, muffs, and slate/ green legs. I have a bunch of non-bearded, white legged girls that lay beautiful colored eggs.

It's not a Barred Plymouth Rock or a Dominique, wrong body comb and body type etc.

At best it might be a EE, or it could be just a Pea Comb cross breed.

Last edited:
Dominiques have a rose comb. Barred rocks and marans have a single comb. Niki appears to have a pea comb, which leads me to believe that he is probably an easter egger mixed with something else. Not all EEs will have the beard, muffs, and slate/ green legs. I have a bunch of non-bearded, white legged girls that lay beautiful colored eggs.

I think you're right about that comb being a pea comb, although it looks kind of funky for any comb type. I'm really thinking that Niki is an EE X Dom or BR that just happens to have yellow legs.

I think i may be interested in breeding Niki with Minie and another females which i will have to purchase some place :) since i apparently have three roos and only one hen :( If Niki is a Dominique male do you think he would bee a good barred roo to bread with Minie for olive eggs and possible barred EE babes?
As an EE, Minie is already a hybrid, so there is just no way to predict what color of eggs you will get with their offspring.

Thank you Everyone! I will sadly have to find him a new home. But at least I can tell his forever home what he may be. He is a sweetie that one , and I will be sad to loose him, but I cant get permission to keep him. I am very greatful for all the insightfull input from every one ! You have all been a great help . Thanks again .

Back
Top Bottom