Breed and Gender Guess - 3 weeks old

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RossChickens, Mar 10, 2017.

1. RossChickens

RossChickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2017
    Southern Alberta
    I am hoping on getting these little ones figured out soon! I posted when they were 1 week, but most of them no one could determine (to young). So here's an update, they are now 3 weeks old, they came from a "mix of heritage breeds". That's all I know! Hopefully someone out there can help me figure out what they are. Also feel free to guess on sex!

Chick 1
    [​IMG]

Chick 2
    [​IMG]

Chick 3
    [​IMG]

Chick 4 (possible EE?)
    [​IMG]

Chick 5 (possible EE?)
    [​IMG]

Chick 6
    [​IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    too young - try 6-8 weeks of age.

3. RossChickens

Mar 1, 2017
    Southern Alberta

For breed? I know sex is really just a guess right now. I was hoping to start researching their breeds :-(

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Looking at the pics, I'm thinking " a mix of heritage breeds" means someone had a mixed flock and let them interbreed, giving you barnyard mix birds. Meaning, Dad may be breed A, but mom is breed B, so chick is a mix. They just don't line up with any standard breeds right off.

5. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Agree with drumstick diva = still too young for sexing, pic at 6 - 8 wks. Agree with donrae = BarnYard Mix. Find out what breeds were kept & you'll know the possibilities.

Could we get a better picture of their combs? I'm trying out a method I read about, the length of their combs - If the comb extends past their nostrils = cockerel If the comb stops at the comb or above = pullet Ofcourse it's not a proven method but I'm trying different methods and I don't have chicks right now [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  6. RossChickens

Mar 1, 2017
    Southern Alberta

Thanks, I will reach out and see what I can find out.

I will get close ups for you tomorrow! I am all for trying out different methods (or helping others). Right now it's the best thing to research for me, it's fascinating and I am trying to learn it!

7. RossChickens

Mar 1, 2017
    Southern Alberta
    Here you go!

Chick 1
    [​IMG]

Chick 2
    [​IMG]

Chick 3
    [​IMG]

Chick 4
    [​IMG]

Chick 5
    [​IMG]

Chick 6
    [​IMG]

8. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Ok, you MUST let me know how they all turn out....

From what I can see, looks like to me, #5, #2, #1 got Pea Combs (possible EEs) while the rest have Single Combs. So I you like playing guessing games, if you can find out what breeds the person you got them from have, you maybe able to narrow down the "barnyard mix". Will be interesting to see the color of eggs too [​IMG]

Going buy the pictures, although in person is better (you should try); Pullets #5, #4, #2 & #6 although can't make out the nostrils cause of coloring. Cockerels #3 & #1

Have fun & enjoy them [​IMG]

9. RossChickens

Mar 1, 2017
    Southern Alberta

Thanks! I will keep you in the loop. I was also leaning Roo for #3 (for about a week now). The comb has always been the most developed.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I"m also thinking cockerels on 1 and 3. Keep us updated [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by