1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breed and gender help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by shorechickies, Jul 9, 2016.

1. shorechickies

shorechickies Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2016
    Ohio
    Can anyone help? I have no idea the breed/gender these two were mystery chicks:

This red first one in the front- I'm thinking maybe RSL pullet but really not sure:
    [​IMG]

The second is this white one, I thought leghorn but s(he) has a really wide chest:

[​IMG]

(Same bird on the right)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They are about 6.5 weeks old now. Thanks in advance for any help! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  2. BackyardFlock17

BackyardFlock17 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2016
    The easiest way to tell a chicken is a rooster is that they start crowing. Another way that could help is the size of combs and wattles. The best thing to do is to wait untill they are older.

3. shorechickies

Jun 2, 2016
    Ohio

Absolutely, I'm not so much worried if they are pullets or cockerels but really wondering what breed they might be...

4. eleaserek

eleaserek Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    Billings, MT
    I would say the red one is a production red of some sort, and the white one may be a white Plymouth Rock. Are the earlobes white or red/pink? White would mean leghorn, red would mean white Plymouth rock.

5. shorechickies

Jun 2, 2016
    Ohio

Thank you! I will check the earlobes today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by