Breed and gender help!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Southernsam, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Southernsam

Southernsam New Egg

Feb 17, 2014
    I will start with the one I know nothing about....Which may be all :) Chicken newbie here! I bought all three of these only two weeks ago under the impression they were all girls around 12 weeks or so. The farm I got this from was unsure the breeding of this one. There is no aggressive behavior in any of these three. Each one has their moment of flapping at the others but they all like to stay together (they actually sleep on the floor together) But I sure did like the coloring so I got it too (see my other girly back there? [​IMG]-Barred Rock perhaps? Another picture further down )
    .[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here is the one I got as an "amerecauna" but after much research(looking on here) I know it is a EE. Also note no crowing noticed as of now. Thanks for the help
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    The barred rock and EE you are spot on with, and I believe both are girls. The top one could be an EE mix, and the red coming in on the wings makes me think that it's a rooster, plus its comb and wattles are more developed and red than the other two. Also,

[​IMG]

3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Yes #2 and #3 are pullets. #2 is an EE as you correctly figured out. I'm not sure that #3 is a pure Barred Rock...it is a barred bird but its earlobes look pretty pale, almost white. Could be just the lighting and the young blush of a pullet rather than the full red of a hen. When she grows up, she should have red earlobes. If that doesn't happen, you have a barred bird but not a Barred Rock. Likely a barn yard mix.

#1 is a rooster, and I think an EE as well. Green legs and pea comb. The red in the wing bows and that much red and size in a pea comb at 12 weeks with the beginning of some spiky looking feathers around the saddle area all indicate roo.

Congratulations with your new flock and welcome to BYC!

Lady of McCamley

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Mixed breed rooster, possibly with EE heritage
    EE hen
    Barred hen--I agree she looks off for a Rock, she may be mixed but is female.

If you purchased them as females, you need to return the first bird and exchange for a pullet.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by