Breed and Gender of chickens? New to BYC

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ilovemyfamily, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Ilovemyfamily

Ilovemyfamily New Egg

Jan 31, 2013
    I have 4 chickens. I thought we had 3 Hens and 1 Rooster but recently someone said they were all roosters. I do know that the 2 really pretty colored ones sometimes will crow, but I have been told a female will sometimes do that also. The huge white one with a little black on it has feathers all the way down its legs, so I was thinking maybe a Brahma? An the solid white one ( a rooster, i believe) I was thinking may be a Leghorn? Any help would be appreciated.. Thank You. I have pictures in gallery and on my profile, im not sure if they posted with this or not.

2. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    The 2 pretty colored ones look like Easter Eggers, The white and black one is a Brahma, and not sure on the all white one, but it is not a Leghorn, leg color is wrong.

Now for the bad news, they are all cockerels.

3. Ilovemyfamily

Ilovemyfamily New Egg

Jan 31, 2013
    Hate to sound dumb, but what is cockerels? Does that mean al males? Which we have 2 black hens who have laid that are supposed to be Top Knots.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I agree with Turtle Power - I've no clue on the white one either -but not a leghorn. And yes, they look like boys.

5. Ilovemyfamily

Ilovemyfamily New Egg

Jan 31, 2013
    Well poo...lol , atleast we have 2 hens..i guess we could always breed them with the pretty colored roosters :)

6. K Epp

K Epp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2012
    North Georgia
    I agree with the above. I looked in a Cackle catalog and White Jersey Giants have black legs so maybe that's what he is. They are all very pretty. Any chance you can trade them for pullets. I had to do that with some I bought from someone locally.

7. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Just so you know, you will want to get rid of most of the boys or get lots more hens. General ratio is 10 hens per rooster. Pullets is the proper term for girls not yet laying. Cockerels are boys less than a year old.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yep, all boys. Adult female birds may occasionally crow if there's no male around, but young hens don't crow.
    Four roosters to two hens is going to be a recipe for disaster if they're all together. The roos will fight and the hens will get gang-mated. The roos will probably be okay housed together withoug access to the hens.

9. Ilovemyfamily

Ilovemyfamily New Egg

Jan 31, 2013
    Thank you all. The hens are in a seperate cage. We thought they all would have spurs or bigger cones. I have noticed they are trying to mate with the ducks that are housed with them..lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by