Breed and Gender of Red Young Chicken

arizonarancher

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 10, 2012
Cave Creek Arizona
11/09 was the hatch date and I am pretty sure the store said they were all pullets but if anyone thinks otherwise it would be great to know now! This is my favorite little chicken, shes so friendly! She likes flying to my shoulder and seems to be a healthy happy little chicken... any guesses on breed?

Today:

When I first got it:

Thanks!

Maybe its a new Hampshire or a production red? Its hard to tell, because it is pretty young. Could you take some pictures in a few weeks?
smile.png

It's too light for a RIR. I'd say it's a Production Red. It'll lay you oodles of eggs if it's a hen.

That's a pullet. Post more pics in a couple of weeks. It looks like our RIRs when they were little. Anybody have picture of a Production Red? I haven't seen one before. :)

Thank goodness! Shes my favorite so I was hoping she is a pullet! I do have some RIR adults and they are much darker and don't have any coloring besides red to their feathers at all. This little girl has some black and white mixed in. I have one that is the same as this one and my other breeds are easily recognizable (barred rock, buff orpington, black australop).

This is only 5 days later but its worth a shot. I don't know what a production red looks like at maturity either, I'd love to see one if anyone has one.

This is her:

Her lighter friend that seems to be the same breed ( bought at the same place). Its easier to see the markings on this one though. Shes in the back.

Back
Top Bottom