Breed and Gender of Red Young Chicken

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by arizonarancher, Dec 11, 2012.

1. arizonarancher

arizonarancher Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2012
    Cave Creek Arizona
    11/09 was the hatch date and I am pretty sure the store said they were all pullets but if anyone thinks otherwise it would be great to know now! This is my favorite little chicken, shes so friendly! She likes flying to my shoulder and seems to be a healthy happy little chicken... any guesses on breed?

Today:

[​IMG]

When I first got it:

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Maybe its a new Hampshire or a production red? Its hard to tell, because it is pretty young. Could you take some pictures in a few weeks?
    [​IMG]

3. arizonarancher

Dec 10, 2012
    Cave Creek Arizona
    I sure can! I will get some pictures as she ages and repost in this thread :) I was guessing production red myself but just not sure since I'm new to chickens. Thanks!

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    No problem, looking forward to those pics!!!
    [​IMG]

5. Chickengirl47

Chickengirl47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Louisiana
    Could be a RIR. But we would know better in a couple of weeks. :)

6. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    It's too light for a RIR. I'd say it's a Production Red. It'll lay you oodles of eggs if it's a hen.

7. Mac14

Mac14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    I have a couple RIR/Production reds and this one's red is a little lighter. I think New Hampshire Red. :)

8. Chickengirl47

Feb 7, 2012
    Louisiana
    That's a pullet. Post more pics in a couple of weeks. It looks like our RIRs when they were little. Anybody have picture of a Production Red? I haven't seen one before. :)

9. arizonarancher

Dec 10, 2012
    Cave Creek Arizona
    Thank goodness! Shes my favorite so I was hoping she is a pullet! I do have some RIR adults and they are much darker and don't have any coloring besides red to their feathers at all. This little girl has some black and white mixed in. I have one that is the same as this one and my other breeds are easily recognizable (barred rock, buff orpington, black australop).

This is only 5 days later but its worth a shot. I don't know what a production red looks like at maturity either, I'd love to see one if anyone has one.

This is her:

[​IMG]

Her lighter friend that seems to be the same breed ( bought at the same place). Its easier to see the markings on this one though. Shes in the back.

[​IMG]

10. Chickengirl47

Feb 7, 2012
    Louisiana
    They both are pullets, and I'm sure they are RIRs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by