Breed and gender of six week old chick?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ccmarie, Dec 14, 2012.

1. ccmarie

ccmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2008
    Yuma, Arizona
    I got some assorted hatching eggs awhile ago. I'm not sure how much I trust the seller, but the list of breeds are: Blue Splash Maran, Cuckoo Maran, Ameracauna, White Leghorn, Black Star, Java, Speckled Sussex, Dark Cornish, RIR, and Cinnamon Queen
    I ended up with five blue marans, a female black star, two female cinnamon queens, and this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When it hatched I thought it was a male cinnamon queen, but now that he/she is six weeks old, I don't think so. If it helps, this chick has been the slowest at feathering out, and has a very submissive personality compared to the others. It came out of a light brown colored egg.

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    I think a cinnamon queen

3. ccmarie

Jul 31, 2008
    Yuma, Arizona
    He or she? As a chick he/she looked all white except for a little red on her head, so I thought it'd be male, but the comb and wattles are small like the other, all red girls.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Hm, looks like the sex link coloring didn't come through good on the chick down. She's sure growing up to look like a cinnamon queen pullet.

I know some people are convinced that Cinnamon Queen is a breed and are breeding them using sex-linked hens and rooster (which doesn't produce sex-linked chicks). Guess it depends on how much you trust the seller.

5. ccmarie

Jul 31, 2008
    Yuma, Arizona
    I'm not sure. On one hand, the description of where she got the eggs seems fishy, and she ignored my questions about how pure the CQs are. On the other hand, the other sex-links are the right gender, and the blue marans all turned out blue, which requires some knowledge of genetics.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Sounds like it's probably a second generation sex link, ie a cinnamon queen hen bred to a cinnamon queen (or king?) roo, thus voiding any sex link traits. I'm leaning toward female at this point, but there is darker color on the wing in that first pic. However, leg size, comb size, etc make me think female. Maybe post again in 3-4 weeks so we can see again?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by